Followers

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Wednesday Pennsylvania Secretary: Adding the top dividers and Bargello embroidery












I cut all six dividers for the top part of the secretary, they are only 0.5mm thick and here is how I did it.












You have to be careful because the wood is so thin, the easiest way to get six matching dividers was to cut the wood a bit longer than needed in the back and gluing all six together just at the very back. Next I put them in the jig and cut them out by pin routing on the drill press and there you have six with perfect matching profiles. Next I cut off the extra bit in the back where they were glued together with the table saw.


















You really need patience when gluing such little pieces, I do them one at a time and wait a good half hour to an hour before gluing in the next one, I use Lego to help keep them square and yes they do have a tiny groove that they are glued  into.























The top all glued together, now I need to make a back for it and a face frame where the doors will fit in. And this is what I do while I wait for glue to dry, embroidery.



















I have started with the embroidery for the wing chair and I can predict that this is going to take a few years to complete. I just fell in love with the riot of colors ever since I first saw photos of this chair, I can't wait to see the real chair in June when I will be in New York for 3 days before going to Guild School in Castine. I am stitching this on 112 count (yes, you are reading right and yes, I am crazy, haha) using Florentine stitch, also called Bargello or Irish Stitch. I put the embroidery on a scaled print of the chair, the needle that you see at the top is only 33mm long (1 19/64"). I use +3 reading glasses together with my magnifying lamp to see this small count and then only just.

Have a great mini weekend.
Elga

7 comments:

Drora's minimundo said...

Your work is great. Thanks for sharing. The lego stones are a great idea.
Hugs

The Dangerous Mezzo said...

The chair looks really like the one from Annelle Ferguson's book -- with the carnation pattern Bargello stitch -- it's beautiful! 112 count, eh? :o It certainly makes it perfectly in scale! I've been playing with some Bargello (a pomegranate pattern) but on 48 ct it just doesn't look right. Guess I have to go smaller! Thanks, as always, for the inspiration!

Fabiola said...

Beautiful work. The dividers are perfect and original for this furniture.
The chairs with embroidery will be fantastic.
Bye Faby

Debora said...

You remind me of Fred Sobol, not by looks : S, but cos he's a firm believer of jigs :D They are a great aid to obtain uniformity and accuracy as you've shown so oft. And this time too! Wonderful to see how you figure out, and create a suited solution for the pieces you want to make. Thanks for sharing that.

As much as you would like to see me work, i would like to watch you too. Three glasses on top of each other...!?!?! Oooh my, ooh my (shaking my head :))

Enjoy Palm Sunday

Elga said...

Oh, Debora

You just gave me a really good laugh trying to see myself with 3 pairs of glasses, no, just one pair, it is reading glasses that they sell at the chemist (apteek) in different strengths, really just magnifying glasses, the ladies in the USA use them a lot for petit point so I thought I would try some for myself. They are marked +1, +2, +3, etc the bigger the number the stronger the magnification, sorry for the confusion.

Josje said...

Good grief, 112 count???? I just started a Nicola Mascall kit 56 count which I can just see using my +3 reading glasses and my magnifying lamp. The chair is beautiful though. I have seen it in NY a few years ago I believe.
I love your little jigs and work on your secretary, it looks like it is going to be another wonderful piece of furniture.

Mike said...

All your work is fantastic!

In reference to > Pennsylvania Secretary: Adding the top dividers
...wait a good half hour to an hour before gluing in the next one...

Rik Pierce's gluing trick: When gluing parts together spread wood or whatever glue you like on the part then add a few droplets of super glue over the wood glue line - hold in place for twenty seconds, then move on the the next part! The super glue holds the parts together while the wood glue sets/dries.
In your case your parts are so small you'd want to use a toothpick or something to add the droplets of super glue, probably to the grooved part.