Followers

Friday, March 16, 2012

Gluing a Wing Chair























This is how the Rhode Island Easy Chair looked last time when I showed it to you, since then I have turned the pad feet on the legs and today I glued it together.





















Because of the angles on the seat rails I find cutting out my pattern and sticking it to a piece of Styrofoam and then using pins, the easiest way to keep everything aligned while the glue dries.


















And here I am using the same pattern to keep the turned stretchers in place while the glue dries.




















Next I glued the stretchers to the front legs, while the glue dries I just put the back in place without any glue to keep everything aligned. And cutting the tenons on the stretchers is no joke since their is no straight line in the whole thing, I drew the lines on with a pencil and then filed with a small square file until it is more or less right.























Clamping the chair between two flat pieces of wood is the best way to make sure all four feet touches the floor.























And now this chair still needs a whopping twelve pieces of wood to make the wings on each side.

Have a great mini weekend.
Elga

14 comments:

Giac said...

Hello Elga,
IThe chair is looking great! I can't tell you how helpful your tutorials are. I love visiting your blog.
Keep up the greatw ork, and have a wonderful weekend,
Hugs,
Giac

Caseymini said...

Elga, that is looking so great! Are you going to do needlework for the upholstry? Did I miss something about that? Can't wait to see it finished!

Elga said...

I am glad you find the info helpful Giac and thanks for all the support.

Yes, Casey you can see the original chair here http://www.metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/10003596?rpp=20&pg=1&ao=on&ft=easy+chair&pos=1 I just love it and are planning to stitch it in Bargello and do the hunting scene on the back in Crewel.

Natalia's Fine Needlework said...

Your chair looks already great, Elga! I have problems with my msn.com. As for your question, of course, there is no problem. Natalia

Mary said...

It's so interesting to see your glueing process. Your chair looks beautiful already, I look forward to seeing more.

Fabiola said...

A great work. This chair is fantastic.
Bye Faby

Ilona said...

Hello Elga, thank you for sharing your tips for the glueing process. Using pins is very helpful! I love visiting your wonderful blog, there is so much to learn.
Have a great weekend, hugs, Ilona

Karin Corbin said...

Just wondering how many scale inches that seat will be up off the floor?
Maybe it is just the angle of the photo but it seems very low for a chair.

Elga said...

Karin, it is an exact reproduction in scale of an antique chair and yes the frame is low because it will still get a very fat cushion on top of the framework during the upholstery process.

Dorien Litjes said...

Wow Elga,

That's a lot of work. Do you embroider the cushion also ? It's a very nice chair and I visited the museum to see the real chair. I've chosen the MASTERS to follow.
Thanks for sharing !
Lots of greetings and have a wonderul weekend.
Dorien

Ascension said...

Un gran trabajo, gracias por compartir.
besitos ascension

miniamania said...

Good job. I follow you with interest. Did you do piece yourself ? or just assembly ?

elis said...

Great work.

Elga said...

Miniamania, I made the chair myself, not just assembling.