Followers

Friday, March 9, 2012

Hinge Making.





















After a few trails and errors I finally managed to make a set of working hinges, I used 0.010" thick brass sheet to cut the hinges from. The double-folded brass sheet is mounted on a scrap piece of plywood with double side tape for stability while cutting out with the jewelers saw. My hinge is just a bit less than 1/8" wide by about 1/4' long including the barrel tabs.






















The first part cut out. 


















The two parts fitting nicely together after a bit of filing with very fine files that are generally available from jewelry making supply shops.





















I got so engrossed in the task that I forgot to take anymore photos!!!! I struggled with rolling the hinge barrel small enough, the hinges I made in Castine are big ones for Castle doors so the wire I used there were thicker than the 0.020" thick wire I needed to use here. I bought this little jewelers round nose pliers and between my husband and I we filed the one side down to 0.035" thick, I would like it even thinner but I am worried it will start bending and breaking off. Next I beveled the edges of the hinges and polished them with silicon nail files.





















The finished hinges installed, since the table top is so thin I am not going to use nails, so they are glued on with epoxy glue. I also offset the hinge leaves so that I only needed to rout out a very small section of the table top at a deeper level, since the hinges and support stand needs to sink completely into the table top so that it can lie flat when the tabletop is closed.























Now I still need to make the hinges to join the table top to the table itself. I found this tutorial the other day when I was looking for some info on making hinges and just about a half hour ago this one from Karin Corbin that shows another way of rolling the barrel, something I am going to try, I am sure I have some very thin music wire here somewhere. Oh and if you ever want to try making such small hinges, I would recommend a good dose of perseverance ;-)

Elga

9 comments:

elly in amsterdam said...

Or a good dose of Valium....
Cheers,
Elly

Dorien Litjes said...

Dear Elga,

You have lots of patience. When those two parts are togheter they function very well?

Hugs
Dorien

Ilona said...

Hi Elga, you have real master skills!! And also a lot of patience too! Thanks for sharing the progress of the hinges. Hugs, Ilona

Ascension said...

Gracias por eneseñarnos como las has hecho.
Tienes mucho ingenio y paciencia, un buen trabajo.
besitos ascension

Miss Leia said...

I have been looking for miniature hinges everywhere near me and I was starting to think about making some. i thought it was crazy but now that i see you and others doing it, it might be possible after all! thank you for the info!

aristacrina said...

Wow, the whole thought of it sounds so intimidating.

Karin Corbin said...

There is another method of making hinges that jewelers use, they solder pieces of tubing to the flat hinge sections.

I have found the most reliable glue for hinges are the newer types of superglue (cyanoacrylate) that are fortified with rubber. That type of glue has enough flex to be quite shock resistant versus epoxy which dries brittle. All the hinges I used epoxy on failed after a number of cycles of movement but the superglue held up far longer. Be sure the superglue package states it is "shock resistant".

Giac said...

Hello Elga!
Terrific job...I swear some of the things you take on would drve me mad. Very impressive that you manage to make things and make them so well.
Congratulations!
Have a greatw eekend,
Giac

Andy said...

Elga!

you never fail to impress with all your fine skills!!

congratulations once again!