Followers

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Gothic Chippendale chair: The Back Splat























I have finished cutting all 28 back legs for my chairs, on the left you can see the jig I made for shaping the sides of the legs as they do have a bit of a curve in them. On the right is an adjustment I made for the second cut that I showed you in my previous post, because the legs are so small, the wood pushes into the jig while you are cutting with the result that your leg is slightly too big, so I glued a scrap of wood in to act as an stop. In the middle is the first back splat not quite finished, the jewelers saw comes in very handy for cutting out all these little pieces.


















The back splat starts its life as 1/8" thick, but loses over half its thickness by sanding with a drum sander to a curved shape. This one still needs a bit of refinement with files before it will be ready. The back splat is definitely the most challenging and time consuming part of this chair.

I am in need of a few very fine files, tomorrow we have a big annual hobby show in Johannesburg where there will be very nice tools for sale, generally meant for jewelry making but a lot of them very handy for miniatures, so you now you know what is on my program for tomorrow :-)

Elga

5 comments:

Eliana said...

Congratulations for the wonderful work!

Caseymini said...

Elga, this chair is going to be truely beautiful! Your work gets better and better!

latchkey and jonquil said...

28 legs - you must have the patience of a saint - it's looking good so far!

Giac said...

Hello Elga,
Your work fascinates me. I'm good with larger pieces, but the small intricate work you do, and do so well, just blows me away. Can't wait to see more.
Have a wonderful weekend,
Hugs,
Giac

Josje said...

I love the design of the back splat, such a pleasing shape! Funny you say that it is the most challenging part of the chair as I would have thought the legs would be the hardest to get right. I enjoy seeing the jigs you made for them. Somehow I can't get my head around those, even though I did do some pin routing with jigs myself. I think it is the spatial thing which is so challenging for my brain. I have to do it to really understand it.
Hope you have (or had)fun at the tool show and bought some nice goodies.