Followers

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Changing a block of wood into a crest rail.






















I have been working on the crest rail of the Gothic Chippendale chairs for the last few days. I made jigs for them to ensure that I will end up with 14 identical  chairs (6 are for my dining room and 8 are orders). When I have curves that mirror one another on the left side I only use one side in the jig and flip the wood over when cutting the mirror image, that way you end up with a perfectly shaped piece of wood.














This rail is shaped on all four sides, I made my wood blanks about 3/8" longer than the finished size of of the crest rail and make sure that the two ends stay square. I use those ends to keep it square to the drill press when I cut out the mortises for the legs and back splat.






















The crest rail with the back splat, tomorrow I will cut a tenon on the back splat and a mortise in the crest rail and glue the two together so that I can finish sawing out the two top holes in the back splat that continues into the crest rail. There is also some carving that overlaps both pieces, so I think it will be wise to only do that once the two pieces are glued together.























And here is a photo of the original full size chair that I am reproducing from the book "Period Furniture Projects" by V.J. Taylor.

Hope you all had a fun weekend.
Elga

13 comments:

Basketcase Miniatures said...

Wow Elga - that chair will be beautiful! Hugs -

Pedrete said...

I am fascinated by your wonderful work! Congratulations!

Debora said...

wow, no rest for the wicked, and on she goes!!! again a challenging piece that you will conquer what ever it throws at you. you gonna submit it?

Fabiola said...

The chair is amazing.
Bye Faby

miniamania said...

it is a good idea. Thank you for sharing. I always follow your blog with interest. And ı am so glad your in my blog. Welcome to my blog. see with new sharing.

Irene said...

You are so clever with wood. It's going to be a lovely chair. Very well done.

Giac said...

Hello Elga,
As always your work is amazing. I don't think I'd have the patience to take on that type of detail work. You do it so well. You really inspire me very much!
Keep up the great work,
hugs,
Giac

Andy said...

I wish I could get anywhere near the fine quality of workmanship you have put into the projects you do, I love this chair and will be keeping a careful eye on how it is made!!

thanks for sharing!

Andy x

Josje said...

This is done with pin routing, right? It looks great! Love the colour of the wood.

Elga said...

Thank you Everyone. And yes Josje, it is pin routing and the wood is African Blackwood, not the easiest to work with, but very rewarding.

Karin Corbin said...

What holds the pieces into the jig for stable and safe cutting? Is is pressure fit, glue, tape?

you know what a pest I am for nerdy details...

Elga said...

Karin, fingers, I hold it in the area where I am not cutting, the specific cutter I use for this technique will probably shave off a bit of skin if you touch it, but not mush more. We use this technique all the time in our monthly club meeting with regular newcomers and haven't had any injuries. The guys that taught me this freaked out when I told them about a router technique we used in Castine last year for making the crown molding of the tall clock, so they think it is pretty safe the way we do it.

miniaturista said...

Casi iguales son las sillas de mi salon, ¿donde se compra el kit?
Te han quedado preciosas
Un abrazo
Maite