Followers

Monday, February 27, 2012

Castine Tall Clock Finished!!!!!



































I finally finished the Tall Clock that I made in Carol Hardy's class at IGMA's Guild School last year.























A close-up of the clock face that consist of 3 layers of steel and brass with the hands that Carol provided with the clock.























I decided to try and make it a working clock, it took a lot of effort and thinking but I got it done. I had to cut away the wood and glue the wrist watch movement directly to the back of the face, the wood was too thick to allow the pin for the hands to stick through to the front.























The hood can come off just like the real antiques so that you can work on the movement if necessary, in my case to replace the battery.



































I made hinges for the hood door that looks like real tall clock hinges to allow the door to swing open freely and not hit the turned columns on the sides of the door.

















Here are the hinges being made, since the door is too thin too handle any nails being pushed into them, I extended the hinge, bend it and sandwiched the top part between the two wood layers of the door.














A close-up of the hinge.



























































And finally the hinges that I made in Bill Robertson's class, without this class I wouldn't have had a clue about how to make authentic hinges for the clock. And in case you are wondering the hinges are sawn out by hand with a jewelers saw. The one in the bottom is finished, it was dipped in an ageing fluid and then heated with a torch, I plan on framing them as is in a frame, maybe together with the class description. And these are big enough for Castle doors, I thought making big ones would be easier, haha, it took me the whole 12 hours to make these two, the first day I broke more blades than doing any actual sawing!!!!

I learned so much at Castine last year and am so looking forward to learning more this year!!!!

Elga

PS: Dorien asked about jewelers saws, if you google images you will find loads of photos of jewelers saws and items that has been made using the saw.

24 comments:

Dorien Litjes said...

It's a jewel this clock. You are very handy. I enjoy reading your blog.

Elga can you tell me what's the difference between a jewel saw and a hacksaw ?

Eliana said...

Wow, Elga! The clock is wonderful, a perfect work!

Cote said...

Felicidades, un gran trabajo!!
Besitos

Marie-Laure said...

Wonderful Elga !
Your tall clock is just fantastic and I am looking at your hinges with envy !!!
I wish I could take part of Castine workshop once in my life ... And it would be a great pleasure to meet you ;-)

Mags Cassidy said...

The clock is beautiful...

Caseymini said...

Elga! The tall clock is outstanding. I have made several clocks that really work. It's not easy! Well done!

Sharon Chrystal de Vries said...

You clever clogs ....It looks wonderful, must be pretty exciting to know you made it and it is now finished.

Ascension said...

Es una verdadera joya, te ha quedado simplemente fantastico!!!!
besitos ascension

otterine said...

Fantastic!!! :D It's truly a treasure.

Josje said...

It is gorgeous Elga! What a fantastic class to take!
I was taught to use the jewelers saw in my first class with Jens Torp, about 7 years ago. Ever since then I like to use this saw, I prefer it over the scroll saw as I have much more control.
I think I have the same clock face. Bought it many years ago with the intention to one day make my own tall clock. But I am a little reluctant to start on one, especially after seeing this beauty!

Evelyne said...

I saw your link on PP group. Congratulations, your clock is gorgeous!!! Thumbs up.

Fabiola said...

This clock is elegant. beautiful work.
Bye Faby

elly in amsterdam said...

It is fantastic Elga !!! I do admire all your talents
Cheers,
Elly

MelyMel said...

Non avevo mai visto nulla di così pefetto ed elegante, un pezzo davvero meraviglioso, complimenti
Mely

Basketcase Miniatures said...

Just beautiful Elga!

Patty said...

Elga, It is so stunning! I love the wood that you used. Carol is such a talent!! The hinges are great too.

Ilona said...

Absolutely stunning, Elga! What a beauty of a clock and it also really works!! Unbelievable!!
Hugs, Ilona

Karin Corbin said...

It would be a lot of fun to go to Castine and take classes the rest of my life.

I was frustrated learning how to saw on my own but this youtube video really turned things around for me. It covers all the reasons people break blades. However it is important for miniatures to use the saw in a more vertical position than is shown in the video.
http://youtu.be/FUpQKibjlRE

Daydreamer said...

Wow, Elga, That clock looks so REAL! I Could NOT tell it was a mini!
Absolutely Fantastic!!!!

Rosamargarita said...

Es un reloj del abuelo! Una joya, muy parecido al de mis padres.
A pesar del trabajo te ha quedado hermoso.
Un abrazo

Miniature Treasures said...

Simply wonderful Elga :)

Sandy said...

Hello... I'm your newest follower...I'd like to invite you to come visit and follow me when you get a chance. Love your blog...thanks for sharing...I love ideas from other great mini people. Have a great day.
xoso
Sandy

Lady Anne said...

Other than the fact that our clock as a glass insert in the lower door, so you can watch the pendulum swing (great way to put a baby to sleep!) your clock is exactly like the one in our dining room. Fabulous work - I can hardly believe this is the first thing you've done.

Karin Corbin said...

I have never tried torching a piece after putting on a patina solution. It will be fun to see what kind of difference that makes to the look and stability of the finish.