Followers

Friday, December 16, 2011

Lace and Christmas Petit Point






















Today it was a public holiday here in South Africa (it is also the time when a lot of people take their annual leave in the midst of summer) and as usual there was an antique fair at historical Melrose House in the center of Pretoria. Today I was lucky enough to find some pieces of  lovely old lace, the top one is silk lace, not something you find often and the other two are cotton. The small one on the right will look stunning on a doll dress with some fine ribbon through the holes. The other two I think might work for a Victorian bed cover, if all works out i will be doing Bill Robertson's Brass Bed Class in Castine next year and I can just picture the bed with the lace and some petit point cushions.

Talking of petit point, here is a photo of my Christmas petit point, and yes it is a CAMEL.



















It will have a nice big star, but no King (Wise Man) , I suspect he went into an inn on the way to get some food. Working on 75 count sure is a challenge, the embroidery measures 44mm (1 45/64") across and will be 56 mm (2 1/4") from top to bottom and has a total of 21 672 stitches. I won't have it finished for Christmas but hopefully for The Twelfth night of Christmas on 6 January.

Elga

8 comments:

Josje said...

The lace is beautiful Elga!
And so is your embroidery. I can't remember exactly, but I think I thought it might be a donkey, although I did see the camel legs as well. Enjoy your little holiday!

Ascension said...

Enhorabuena por ese precioso encaje, un fantastica compra.
Me encanta tu trabajo, te va a quedar genial con la estrella.
Feliz fin de semana
besitos ascension

Amary said...

They are beautiful pieces of lace. It will look so wonderful in a small bed! Greetings!

Caseymini said...

Elga, I have one piece of silk lace and I can't talk myself into cutting into it. You are braver than I. The other lace will be wonderful for minis. LOVE the camel!

Cote said...

Felicidades por esa buenísima compra, son unos encajes preciosos!!
Se ve genial el cuadrito de punto de cruz!!
Besitos

Catherine said...

What a lucky find that lace was. It is really pretty.

Ahhhhh it is a camel. I thought it was. Seventy-five count is so very fine. It bet it feels like butter. It is already beautiful, even unfinished.

I saw the bed you are going to make. WOW... The will be fun!!!!

Daydreamer said...

Beautiful Lace, Elga! What a find! I can't wait to see what you do with it!
And your stitching is AMAZING! I cannot imagine that amount of stitches!

Sandra from Sydney said...

Elga, your stitching is just exquisite! I am trying to pluck up the courage to tackle 60hpi, my mind boggles at the thought of 75hpi(I still haven't done my casket!) The lace is gorgeous too - such special finds. Silk lace is so rare now and even cotton lace is hard to find.
Hugs
Sandie