Followers

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Dining Room Wall Brackets















I decided to take off from working on my furniture commissions this weekend and work a bit on my sadly neglected dollhouse, the Stokesay vases are crying out to be displayed and not languish in a box for who knows how long. As I mentioned the other day my brackets are not deep enough for the vases, so yesterday I cut 2 pieces from 1/8" basswood and glued them with epoxy to the brakets. Before I glued the wood pieces on I drilled two holes in each for nails to go into the walls, I don't always like gluing things permanently and in this case my wallpaper is old real life flocked paper, so I wasn't sure that glue would really hold in the long term. The wood on the bracket on the right has already been shaped with files, knifes etc in this photo.























Next I drilled holes in the wall for the nails, now my nails weren't evenly spaced, so I cut a piece of cardboard to the height I wanted, marked my nail holes on it, drilled through the cardboard, positioned it and then drilled through the holes into the wall.























Looking good so far, I think.



















Next I drilled a hole in the top for a dowel for the vase to sit securely on, I will use some blue tack or Press Stick as we call it here as well, don't want these vases to fall :-)



















Testing, testing...... I like it so far!!!!!

















I am planning on gilding them, so here they are with their first layer of paint, I used enamel, so now I have to wait until it is dry, then I will sand them and fill in any gaps.

Hope you all had a great weekend!!!!
Elga

2 comments:

Miniatures by Natalia said...

Looks promising, Elga! It surely will enhance the atmosphere of your house.

Debora said...

Great solution for your problem. These vases deserve a neat spot. Stokesay is really nice quality for your money. I'm a huge fan of their children's range. The one with the rocker horse. Good luck with the gilding. Take your time and be sure the base coat is dry before you start.

ps. has the gypsen frame arrived yet?