Followers

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas Tribute Room Box


I have always wanted to make something to remember my Mom-in-Law who passed away just over 3 years ago in a special way, I had a good relationship with her and when I think back I realize she played a big role in my love for antiques and collecting all kinds of things. So yesterday when I saw this Christmas room box made by Kevin Mulvany and Susie Rogers it started me thinking, mom lived in Cape Town which is about a 1000 miles from us and we normally spent about every 2nd Christmas with her and those were some of the best times in my life.



Just before she passed away she bought this little Edwardian chamber pot cupboard for me, I only really use the drawer for a few odds and ends as this is standing right next to my front door and now I am seriously considering recreating her living room at Christmas time behind the door.



































Her place was small so the tree always stood on her little stove which of course we didn't need in the middle of summer. My photos dates back to the 80's and 90's so excuse the quality.














Now you know why I love blue and white plates!!!!!



































The dining table in the corner, I still have scraps of that fabric which is small enough for 12 scale.



































I will make a false wall with a glimpse through to the corridor, where she had a hall stand. I inherited all her bedroom furniture and my sister-in-law all the living room furniture but it is all still scattered throughout my house since my sister-in-law stays on the other side of the country and hasn't had the opportunity yet to fetch them, which means I can measure and copy all the furniture from the originals. 



Close up of the dining chair, most of her wooden furniture was from the late 1800's, early 1900's.



She used this old wagon kist as a coffee table, she used to have an old saddle bag on it, one that looked like they used a rug to make it, I think it is here somewhere, the blue vase was also hers but she had sunflowers in it.



The shelves used to hang above this cupboard, some of the objects on here also belonged to her. I am searching through all her photographs as well to help jog my memory. She lived with us in her own flat on our property the last few years of her life, which is why all her stuff is here, but that will make it easier recreating the room.

It will probably take quite a few years in between all my other work, but that's ok, Rome wasn't build in one day.

Elga

3 comments:

Josje said...

Elga, I think that is an absolutely lovely idea! It will be a wonderful memory of your mother in law and the time you spent with her. I always love miniature settings combined with full scale furniture. This little cabinet your mother in law gave you is very pretty and looks perfect for your idea. Doesn't matter if it takes a few years.

Mary Lynne said...

I'm with my kids right now through Christmas to New Year's but will try and remember to look through my minis when I get home. I'm pretty sure I have at least a couple of blue and white plates and I'd be delighted to share and be part of such a neat project. :)

Mary Lynne

Fi.P said...

Hi Elga,

I enjoyed reading your post about your mother in law. It s nice to dedicate your work to someone you love.

I think with my house I will be dedicating it to my Mother who passed away 18 years ago.

Your blog is lovely,

Fi x