Followers

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Wood and Glue...

Both of course are important to a furniture maker, so I am always on the look out for special pieces of wood and better glues.

Yesterday I went to a lumber shop to pick up a piece of Cherry that I need for some turnings, they have lots of small pieces of exotic woods in the reception area intended for full scale vase and candlestick turnings, of course I had to browse there ;-)))

And look what I found!!!! I oiled it a bit otherwise you won't see the markings but I haven't sanded it or anything.



















I hope you can see all the tiny markings in it, it is a piece of Madrone, I have never heard of it before, but it grows along the west coast of the USA and and just look at this stunning spice cabinet where they used the wood for the drawer fronts. I am not sure what I will use this for, probably an 18th century secretary like this one, isn't it just gorgeous.

And then on the subject of glue, I often have to glue hinges and other hardware to furniture and I just hate super glue, it just dries too fast for my liking, so yesterday I found a Duncan glue called Liquid Fusion,























I tried some on a hinge yesterday and it seemed to work great although some reviews that I read said that it failed on metal. It is recommended for metal use though, has anyone used this glue before and what were your experience of it? I like that it doesn't dry immediately and that I have time to position my piece of hardware, so often with superglue it just ends up not quite where I wanted it and any excess glue mars the finish on the wood, so I hope this glue will be a good substitute for super glue.

Have a great day
Elga

16 comments:

Catherine said...

That wood is just GORGEOUS! I can only imagine what it will look like when it is polished.

As for glues... I suppose we all have our favorites but when it comes to gluing metal to wood or another surface I will always used a dab of BARGE rubber cement. It is the strongest and best glue I have ever used.

otterine said...

That's beautiful wood! I've never heard of this particular glue. I use super glue in gel form - the liquid kind never works for me.

miraclechicken said...

Beautiful wood! Great find. thanks for telling me about the glue, I'll give it a try :)

Idske said...

Beautiful wood. I still have a 'book' of similar burr veneers, I wonder if it is Madrone or 'just' walnut. The spice cabinet and the secretaire are both gorgeous! My book veneers are also destined for some sort of cabinet, hopefully this summer :))

I've never used Liquid Fusion, but it sounds great. I also don't like superglue on wood, but it has it's uses combined with tacky glue when making plants and flowers from card and paper.

Gee said...

that wood is so beautiful! I wonder how it will be to work it, so I will keep a close look at your blog :)
I am afraid I am no help with glues, I mainly use white woodglue, pure or diluted for well, about anything, or shortened screws or nails.
You are so right about the superglue!
Hugs,
Gee

Karin Corbin said...

That wood was a great find!

There is lots of Madrone around the Puget Sound area of Seattle. But finding one that had a burl on the tree would be very unusual. It is not the most common tree around here as it does not transplant easily. You will find them in groves along the roads with that red shaggy peeling bark. It is a lovely sight.

There is a super glue that I am very fond of, it works great on metal and it does not dry too fast. It is rubber fortified super glue. I get the one marketed here by the Gorilla Glue company. It can be found in most hardware stores.

I think you can also find a version of the glue where you live. When you look at the labels on super glue watch for the ones that say things like impact or shock resistant. Also look to see if it says it can be used on plastics and metal. When it says those things it is an excellent indicator that the superglue you are buying has rubber in it. Some brands will actually say rubber fortified.

I bought my first bottle of that new and improved type of superglue almost a decade ago. At that time the only kind I could find was imported from Germany.

Store superglue in the refrigerator to extend it's shelf life.

Margaret said...

Beautiful timber,like burr walnut, I would love to see your secretary made from it, the antique one is 'almost' to die for.

Eliza said...

Hi Elga,
When I'm working with metal findings, I usually use Zap-a-gap, and dry it instantly with Zip-kick.It's not an ideal solution, (the smells give me a headache!) so I'd love to find another glue that works.

Mini Southern Millworks said...

I use 10 ton epoxy the five minute type.

Fi.P said...

Hi Elga,

surprisingly, I am quite familiar with Madrone, I remember many years ago my father manufactures a series of beautiful cabinets of madrone burl.....exquisite pieces of furniture. You are very fortunate to have a piece and it couldn't fall into better hands. I really look forward to seeing what you do with it!

ML Fi xx

Ilona said...

That piece of wood, Elga:stunning, beautiful!! I thought it was burr walnut, because of the structure the tiny details and I have a small piece of that type. But I am not a wood expert.
That glue I have never heard of it before, so I can't help you :(
Groete, Ilona

Pau Pex said...

Hi Elga! That wood is... marvelous! Looks perfect for making a bureau or a table... maybe a clock?

I´ve followed you for a long time but as I have no Google account I can´t let you comments... is solved, and I´ve linked you to my new blog. If you like to take a look here is the link http://riversidemanorproject.blogspot.com.es

John said...

Such pretty wood, I remember those trees from living in Northern California as a boy.

BTW, I did not know that about storing SuperGlue in the fridge...of course with MY luck, I'll put it on my hotdog by mistake and then --well, you get the picture.

Sandra said...

Elga, what a beautiful piece of what. I look forward to seeing what you make with it. Hugs Sandie

Missy said...

That wood is lovely, Elga, and I can't wait to see what you do with it. Geoff Wonnacott uses the liquid super glue a lot, especially in his inlays. We just sanded the excess off before we finished the piece in his class. I agree that it's difficult to work with when trying to use it for metal hardware. Let us know how the new glue works. Karin, thanks for the tip about the rubber fortified glue. I'll look for it.

The Dangerous Mezzo said...

Great glue hints from the post and comments -- good to know. The wood is GORGEOUS.