Followers

Sunday, April 7, 2013

I am still here.......

Just busy with both real life issues and working very hard on a few commissions that needs to be finished in eight weeks time.














I finally finished the back-sticthing on the back panel of the casket.

















And here is the back panel before I did any of the back stitching just to show you how the detail pops after adding the back-stitching  One of the biggest challenges of working on 90 count silk gauze is the small amount of colors available to choose from, there isn't too many threads out there that are thin enough to use on the small counts. Although the back-stitching is a lot of extra work I think the results are worth the effort.


















I am more than halfway with next side panel, I took the photo with an eraser just to give you a sense of how small the panels really are :-)























And this Shaker candle stand was our project for February and March at our monthly meetings of the South African Academy of Miniaturists in Johannesburg. The table is made from Jacaranda wood, the glasses was part of a Christmas swap a few years ago, the readable book is from Barbara Brear, her books are simply amazing, and lastly the ivory elephant candle holder is an antique loose bead that I bought a few years ago at a miniature show.

Have a fantastic week everyone
Elga

13 comments:

John said...

Hi Elga,
Glad to see you back. The back-stitching DOES indeed make a big difference --the costumes on your elegant ladies pop right out! Can't even believe how tiny your work is! Lovely candle stand, too!
XO,
John

Fabiola said...

Beautiful embroidery! It's very tiny..
Greetings, Faby

Mini Southern Millworks said...

I was starting to worry.... glad to see you are still into things..



Mario

Ilona said...

Glad to see you back, Elga, I have missed you!! The difference with or without the back-stitching is huge! It is gorgeous, I can imagine it is a lot of work. This candle stand is a very beautiful piece of work, as all your miniature work is.
Groete, Ilona

Teruka said...

your work is beauty!
Hugs,
Teruka

Catherine said...

Elga,

not a lot gets me really excited in miniature but your petite point sure does! I LOVE IT. it is so beautiful. I can't wait to se the finished result. XXX

Indy_Poppy said...

I can't wait to see the finished item. Such tiny stitches...very nice. IndyPoppy

Helma said...

Elga,wonderfull how the backstitching make a differense to your lady's.It's beautifull.What story of Joseph is it in the third panel. I try tot figure it out but I don't know. Your candle stand is masterwork!

Helma

Fi.P said...

Hi Elga,

So glad to see you're back into it! That stitching is so tiny and so beautiful and i just love the candle stand.

Beautiful work as usual!!

ML Fi xx

miraclechicken said...

I simply cannot believe my eyes!!! So small so perfect SO beautiful---

Giac said...

Hello Elga,
My mind has a hard time believing something that small can be so detailed. you really raise the bar high. It looks beautiful and the candlestand is lovely. I am always so impressed and inspired by your work.
Big hug,
Giac

PILAR6373 said...

Tan pequeño y tan perfecto,una obra de arte!!!!!!!
El candelabro muy bonito.
Besos.

Daydreamer said...

Elga, your stitching is just Unbelievable!!! And your patience and ingenuity with the wiring is amazing! Your work always makes me shake my head in wonder!