Followers

Monday, February 4, 2013

Lester Margon Furniture books

Well, it seems quite a few people are talking about books these days, so I thought I would share mine with you over a few posts, a good time for me to do this as you will see very few posts on wood work this year. I will be working a lot, but won't be able to show you anything for the next year or so, as for now this work needs to stay confidential for a certain reason that some of you might be able to guess, if you think you know, no mention in the comments please :-)

Okay, on to the books, one of my favorite authors is Lester Margon, he traveled a lot in the first half of the 20th century visiting many museums, private collections, etc, took lots of black and white photos and made many measured drawings of magnificent antique furniture.























The first book, all of these books have black and white photos, there are lots of measured drawings but not of every piece of furniture in the book




























Two of the pages out of this book.























The second book.
















And two of the pages out of this book.























The third book.
















And two pages out of this book, these 3 are quite rare and often go for very high prices on Amazon, I simply kept on checking until I found affordable copies, many sellers also don't want to ship out of the USA, but in the end I managed to get them all at reasonable prices and they are worth every cent I paid. A word of warning though, only experienced wood workers will be able to use the drawings for making furniture, only the basic measurements are given, no details of construction, etc.























The fourth book however does give descriptions on how to make the furniture, but once again I think only if you are experienced in making furniture. Some of the furniture in this book are also featured in the other 3 books.
















One the patterns out of this book that I actually made two years ago.























My 1:12th scale version that I made in 2011 and donated to IGMA's Guild School auction, I still want to make one for myself some time.























The screen can slide up and down, for those of you who missed the original posts on this piece, you can see them here.

Have a great week everyone
Elga

14 comments:

John said...

Those all look like great books to have on hand, even if you're not an experienced furniture maker. Your screen looks like it could have been a color photo from the book!

That wasn't very nice to drop such a juicy hint at the beginning of your post Elga!

Josje said...

I THINK I know, but my lips are sealed ;-)

Great books Elga, plenty of lovely things for you to make. I'm a little jealous over here. Bad trait, I know!

I will email you within the next few days hopefully Elga. At the moment I am having some problems with virusses or Trojan horses or something like that.

Giac said...

Hello Elga,
A real woman of mystery, aren't you!
Thank you so much for the great book suggestions! It is so helpful to have good, strong references from talented artists.
Big hug,
Giac

Dorien Litjes said...

Dear Elga,
Thanks for sharing ! I love books.
Hugs Dorien

Ilona said...

Elga, for me you are speaking in riddles, I really don't understand what you mean: wood work or books for someone??? Anyhow your furniture books are fantastic and I really understand you must be an experienced woodworker to have such interesting books!
The screen is an amazing artwork, I guess I'd missed that post? I read your post of last year, so you have to make another one for yourself?! You must be a very patient woman to do so.
Hugs, Ilona

Fabiola said...

Your screen is fabulous!
Bye Faby

Architecture of Tiny Distinction said...

Hi Elga,

I love that you take inspiration from real furniture, I think we should always look to real life first when making our miniature things. I look forward to seeing what you create next.

Emily

Architecture of Tiny Distinction said...

Also, that screen is beautiful!

Andy said...

Hi Elga, Sounds like you are going to be kept very busy, I won't pry!

It's funny, I was thinking of doing a post of some of my books too, have been for ages, but not sure exactly what to say about them. The books you featured here look good for advanced wood workers, and would be useful reference books for anyone looking to study period furniture too. Good to know about them. Thanks for sharing!

Hugs
Andy xxxx

Mini Southern Millworks said...

I thought that screen looked familiar !!!!




We have the same taste for furniture Elga


Mario

miraclechicken said...

The books are wonderful and very inspiring but the fire screen is mind blowing beautiful!!!!

mcddiss said...

unos libros realmente preciosos y muy valiosos para cualquier miniaturista dedicado a la madera

besitos

Mari

Idske said...

Hi Elga, A whole year of waiting for us???
Thanks very much for your reviews. I've found 2 of Lester Margon's books on amazon (in the reasonably priced range) and I can't wait for them to arrive!

Dave Williams said...

Thanks for sharing the titles of your books Elga, very interesting, I have one which you mentioned a while back, Queen Anne Furniture, hope to try my hand over the next few months.
And the photo of your craetion is just exquisite, very well done, you are a genius.
dave