Followers

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Something quick and easy for a change

Yesterday we had the first workshop for this year at our Johannesburg club. We made a letter holder in cherry wood. It was fun to finish something for a change in a few hours ;-)





















Here is my letter holder.





















And here are all the pieces, from top to bottom: the base, front, back, center divider and the sides to the left and right. We could choose the shaping of the back, divider and sides for ourselves, I didn't feel like making curves and decided to use angles. On the back and divider I just cut off the corners at a 45 degree angle. For the sides I first cut off what I didn't want at an angle (on the left in the photo) and then finished the shaping with my craft knife (on the right in the photo). After the glue was dry I shaped the sides with a file to continue the angle of the back and divider as you can see in the first photo.























Showing the letter holder on the desk in the study.

Have a great week everyone
Elga

14 comments:

Fabiola said...

Beautiful piece. it's perfect on the desk.
Bye Faby

The Dangerous Mezzo said...

That's a lovely idea -- a nice way to add tons of detail to a desk scene. You're right, too -- it IS nice to be able to make something in one sitting, especially if most of ones projects are massive efforts ...

Ilona said...

Fantastic letter holder, Elga. Years ago my parents had a letter holder like yours in miniature. Love that dromedary lamp too :D!
Hugs, Ilona

miraclechicken said...

Very nice!

Catherine said...

I love wood letter holders. Yours looks great. It must have been fun for you to finish something in one day. ;-)

I made mine from a kit. It looks just like the one in the opening scene of Dowton Abbey.

Dorien Litjes said...

Dear Elga,
What a wonderful object. I love it. I'm still in building the house. So maybe one day I'll try to make thisw item.
Hugs Dorien

John said...

Hmmm, I think I might be able to make one of those for my desk...thanks for the inspiration, Elga!

Dale Fluty said...

I love a great, quick and easy project! That turned out great.

Thanks for sharing the details.

Dale

Fi.P said...

Fabulous!

What al lovely scene, the little glasses look perfect.

Fi xx

Kim @Minimalarkey said...

Darn you, now I NEED to make a teeny tiny letter holder......adds to list of things to make.

www.minimalarkey.blogspot.co.uk

Irene said...

It's a lovely piece and very do-able. Thank you for sharing.

Giac said...

Hell oElga,
It is just beautiful and a real lovely accent on the desk. As always your work is accurate and the finish beautiful.
big hug,
Giac

Helen said...

Hello Elga! Your letter holder looks wonderful!
Many thanks for sharing! x

Andy said...

Hi Elga,

That's such a nice letter rack, especially with all the little cards and letters stored inside it! it looks good on the desk, especially with the glasses next to it, and your camel lamp is fab!!

Andy xxx