Followers

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Hever Castle

Well, Josje just mentioned Hever Castle over on her blog A Beautiful World, seems a few of us were there at some stage or the other and I thought I would share my photos of it. We were there early in March 2006, looking at the photos sure brings back many happy memories, I really enjoyed my visit to Hever and would love to go again.


















The castle with the draw bridge on the right, I just loved the topiary trees.























Me in front of the draw bridge and my purchases from the gift shop, this was our last day in England and I had to spend the remaining pounds ;-)

















Once you are through the gate you find yourself in a courtyard with a Tudor facade. We weren't allowed to take any photos of the inside.

















The kitchen, guest quarters, etc that was added by the American William Waldorf Astor in the early 1900's after he bought the castle in 1903.

















Me in the lovely winter gardens, I loved the beauty of the bare branches against the green hedges and lawn, our lawn in South Africa dies in winter, not a pretty sight at all.



















After you walk for seemingly miles through the gardens, you get to a man made lake, just beautiful, it was really cold that day, if you look carefully you can see the top layer of water is frozen in places.

There is also a wonderful miniatures collection at Hever, more about that in a next post.

Have a great day
Elga

8 comments:

latchkey and jonquil said...

I love this place - I'd just finished reading Josje's post, and then I saw yours - talk about internet 'connection'!

It is such an evocative place, just oozing history... and the grey winter weather just makes it look even more haunting!

I hate having to spend the currency at the end of the holiday - shopping is such a drag ;) !

Jonquil

Idske said...

Hi Elga, I live about 20 miles from Hever and it's just as lovely in summer! We go there occasionally just for the gardens which also includes access to the miniature exhibition. I think is is meant to give an idea of how wealthy homes have changed over the centuries. The collection is quite amazing and a must see in this area!

miraclechicken said...

Those are beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing your trip, that castle is
fabulous---

Fi.P said...

Elga,
I think we missed you by only a few months, we were at Hever in September 2006. It is such a beautiful place, I remember the lake clearly....my children were playing the most wonderful game of ships and pirates there, they still remember it today. How lovely to see you sitting there, I wish i could access my photos, they are on a broken external hard drive, otherwise I might post you matching photos.

Thanks for bringing back some happy memories.

ML Fi xx

Josje said...

Lovely photos Elga! Yes, such a beautiful place. I laughed when I saw the photo of you with your shopping. I thought I had a similar photo of myself like that. And I do, only it was taken at Ledds Castle, not Hever. Now this was in the days before the digital camera, so I'd have to scan it first before I can show you ;-)

I cannot remember seeing miniatures at Hever Castle. I think they were not there yet at that time. I look forward to your photos of that part of your trip!

Andy said...

Hi Elga,

Lovely photos, brought back happy memories of my own visit a few years back. I remember there was also a great exhibition of miniatures by John Hodgson there. The lake is beautiful, I spent quite a while just staring out at it!

Ilona said...

WOW, if I ever get there......I now know I must visit this castle, thanks for sharing, Elga.
Hugs, Ilona

Tony Watkins said...

Hever Castle is a beautiful spot. I have some lovely pics from when my wife and I visited a few years back. There is so much there to inspire a miniaturist.