Followers

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Queen Anne Chair: The Rear Legs, Starting Assembly



Well, I had a bit of trouble figuring out how I am going to cut the tenons on the the very thin top of the rear legs, I had a light bulb moment this morning and taped all four legs together, fortunately I still haven't cut off my little handles so I could still use them in squaring everything. I love my girls Lego blocks from when they were small, you can so easily use them to build any jig that you need. Here I am busy cutting my tenons on the top where the top rail will fit in.



Time for the handles to go, using the same Lego jig to keep everything tightly together and my fingers out of harms way, unfortunately, when making such small cuts you can't use the blade guard, it jams.



The handles are gone and I have four perfect chair legs.



I spent a lot of time yesterday turning the bottom stretcher bar and I also cut the rear seat rail. I found the USA 1915 one cent between my late Mom-in-laws treasures yesterday, her brother has been in California for about 30 years and she must have brought it back from one of her visits.



The rear legs still have a lot of fine details that needs to be done before I can glue it together, but I just had to see how it is going to look :-) The stretcher bar that you see on the drawing of the chair is the front one that is lower than the back one.

Elga

2 comments:

Caseymini said...

Elga, the chair is coming along nicely. I can't wait to see them finished. Beautiful work.

Josje said...

Great series of posts Elga! It is very helpful to see the stages of something being made. I took Tom Walden's pin routing class a few years ago, but I haven't been able to put it to practice yet as I don't have the right machinery. It is such a great way of making things though, once you understand how it is done.
The chair is looking great so far!