Followers

Monday, March 21, 2011

Queen Anne Chair: The Rear Legs



I started with the rear legs and once again I made a jig, I am first going to cut the inside profile, make sure that your wood blank fits tightly in the jig. This time I got clever and first cut away most of the waste with a fretsaw before I cut it in the drill press, it will also prolong the life of my cutter. I am using cherry wood for my chair, it will be stained walnut to represent the original. Once again I added 3/8" on each side, that will keep everything square for now.



Next I made a jig for the outside profile of the leg, the little handles on each side is very important to keep it square since the one side is mostly curved now. Remember to mark your top so that you don't get confused.



I am making my chairs with full joinery like real ones, so now I put all four the legs in my Lego jig and marked off where I am going to cut mortises for the side seat rail and the stretcher bars, doing it this way ensures that the chairs will all have their mortises in exactly the same place. Mine is cut already because I forgot to take photos before the time :-)



Next the legs are put back in the first jig and clamped in a vice, and now the mortises are drilled with a 3/64" cutter (1mm) to the depth that you need, your pattern will tell you.



After all that you need to turn the legs 90 degrees to cut the mortises for the back seat rail and stretcher bar. Remember that you need mirror images now for each chair, once again I used my Lego jig to make sure everything are marked on the same level.



Once again the leg is put back into the first jig for cutting the mortise for the seat rail and drilling a hole for the stetcher bar. To be continued................

Elga

3 comments:

Marie75 said...

I am sorry if I repeat myself, but thank you so much for sharing !
Your Queen Anne chair is going to be wonderful !

Elga said...

Marie, it's a big pleasure, I am sharing this because I thought there might be a few people out there that would like to try this and I know that photos always helps me a lot in understanding a new process. I joined a mini club in the beginning of the year where they also teach some of these techniques and it is helping me a lot. I love antiques and miniature antiques even more :-)

Anneke said...

It looks amazing, but also amazingly difficult to do! I'm very curious about this project of this chair your working on. You have such a proffesional approach!