Followers

Friday, March 25, 2011

Queen Anne Chair: The Cabriole Legs, Starting Assembly



Yesterday was spent on making jigs for the front rail, it is curved in the front and hollowed out a bit in the bottom. I cut the tenons first as you can see on the bottom piece between the two legs, it is the second chair's rail that I will cut later today. I also cut all the mortises in the legs, I know the bottom mortise on the leg looks funny but that is how the antique was made. On the jigs I cut only one side of the curves and when I have done one half, I just flipped it over, that way you are assured of matching sides. I cut the bottom hollow out first, you won't be able to cut that after you cut the front curve, because it rocks in the jig.



Starting to look good I think. I am going to chuck the legs back in the lathe and see if I can curve the feet, I found some nail file pads that is easily cut into little strips that worked wonderfully on the back stretcher. I still need to figure out how I am going to cut the curved rabbet for where the chair seat needs to fit in. Today I plan on turning some more of the stretchers.

Elga

2 comments:

Marie75 said...

I adore seeing your progress everyday !

Mooghiscath said...

J'admire !