Followers

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Queen Anne Chair: The Rear Legs, Assembly Finished, Well Almost



I spent yesterday making chamfers on the chair legs, I was so scared that I will ruin the leg that I almost abandoned the idea, but when a Google search revealed that they all looked liked this, I knew I would never be happy if I didn't make it authentically. I just used a small needle file and emory board to make the chamfers. Just click on the pictures if you want to see them bigger.



Once I got the hang of it, it went rather quickly. Next I glued it all together, the backsplat, shoe and crest rail will be done last, so I will spent the next few days on the front legs and the rest of the seat rails and stretcher bars. I have gained a new respect for the artisans out there, it is a whole lot of hard work and very time consuming to make miniatures with this level of detail.

Elga

8 comments:

Manuela said...

It looks very good,with many details.
I'm courious about the whole seat!

have a nice day!!
greetz manuela

Marie75 said...

Oh ! That is just great !
Why haven't you used a drilling for the chamfers ?

Elga said...

Marie, there isn't a small enough cutter with a 45 degree angle available as far as I know :-)

Anneke said...

It looks great! This is such an intruiging process! I love following your progress on this chair.

Patty said...

I am so amazed at what you are making! It is going to be the most fantastic chair! You are doing such a wonderful job on it!

Marie75 said...

I should send you pictures of the drill bit I use and the kind of jig I make for chamfers.

Elga said...

Thanks Marie, I would appreciate that, you should be able to find my e-mail address in my profile.

Drora's minimundo said...

I love what I see here and loved your work which I saw at Natalia's blog. My compliments