Followers

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Victorian Berlin Wool-work

Wow, I see I last showed you this piece of petit point way back in August, well, I finished it this week. It is cross stitched onto 58 count silk gauze with Pipers Floss silk. The chart is a photograph of an original Victorian chart from Raffaella Serena's book Berlin Work, Samplers & Embroidery of the Nineteenth Century.















So, which one did I stitch?













You didn't have to wait too long to find out ;-)

I framed it in a 140 year old photo frame from the Ambrotype period of  photographing. Because I was a bit worried that the brass coating of the frame would damage the petit point, I lined the inside with paper. I mounted the petit point with scrap-booking tape onto a piece of plastic and then stitched right through all the layers with my sewing machine. Yes, I do weird things with my trusty 26 year old Singer and it has never given me any problems.



















The outer frame is rounded, hollow and made from a very thin piece of brass, it was dented in one place when I bought it. So in order to prevent that from happening again I used some half round molding to fill the frame with.


















I am pretty happy with how it turned out.



































In its place in the dining room, for the photo I held it in place with double-sided tape, I still need to figure out what I am going to do with the back before I add some chains with which I want to hang it on the brass rod. The antique shelf was also bought at Lucy's.






















Oh, yes, if you read the history of the Ambrotype in the link I gave you and was maybe wondering about the original photograph in the frame. You can still see the image of a young Victorian girl on the glass when you put it against a dark background. I bought the frame in 2011 at Lucy's Doll House in Camden, Maine on the way to Guild School in Castine.

Have a wonderful week
Elga 

12 comments:

Idske said...

It's a very Victorian beauty and so in the right place. Congratulations!

Catherine said...

OMG that is just beautiful!!! Well done! Ooooh I wish you lived next door to me. :-))

mcddiss said...

ese cuadro bordado es una preciosidad y con el marco has hecho un trabajo estupendo

besitos

Mari

Elga said...

Catherine, I would love to live next door to you!

elly in amsterdam said...

Oooohhh Elga, it is such a fantastic beauty !!! Well done, congratulations !!!

Helma said...

Elga, what a beautiful result. The antique frame is made for this victorian woolwork.

Helma

Ilona said...

Elga........stunning work in this type of frame, thanks for all the information about it. The embroidery work is stunning, soooooooooo tiny, what a patient woman you must be! The place for it is very well found.
Groete, Ilona

Susan said...

Absolutely wonderful Elga, A museum quality work of art. Brilliant job of the framing too.

Giac said...

Hello Elga,
That is just fantastic! It is perfect on the walls of your house! You are so talented and your work is always so well done. You are really an inspiration to me!
Big hug,
Giac

sandi quance said...

How beautiful!!! The frame just makes it perfect!
I also wish that you lived next door to me!!!!!

miniacollection said...

Beautiful and awesome work! I have the book too, it's a real treasure.
Geneviève

miraclechicken said...

Stunning! Perfect work and it looks great on the wall---