I am ending the year on a high note, I just finished stitching the first panel for my casket.
It is stitched on 90 count silk gauze with Pipers silk, I used French knots for some of the hair to give it texture and some of the details I outlined with back-stitching. There is a total of 5148 stitches in this tiny piece that measures 21mm wide by 18.5mm high. And I stitched this in 14 days, about 2 hours a day.
I also finished the first casket, posted it on Friday and the new owner received it today, I always stress when my hard work disappears into the postal system, so it always a relief to hear that it has arrived safe and sound.
I wanted to sign the casket in a way that would also reflect the stitcher's name since they are going to spend lots of hours designing and stitching for their casket. My daughter helped me to design the label for the underside of the casket, it has place for them to fill in the year when they have completed the stitching.
I made the hinges from very thin pewter, I made them big for lots of gluing surface, since they will be hidden by the stitching and only need to be functional.
The hinge for the lid.
The finished casket, I am almost done with the dome top casket and will show that one to you in my next post.
Thank you all for your support and encouragement this year, I am looking forward to next year and some new challenges.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! May 2013 be a great year for each and everyone of my wonderful Blogger friends.