Followers

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A very tiny drawer!

When I first realized just how complex the construction of the real caskets was with all their secret drawers, I really wanted to recreate it in the miniature casket too. Because of the size of the caskets I at first wasn't sure that there would be enough space, especially considering the thickness of the wood, but when I stumbled over the idea of using plywood, I thought it could be just possible. And well, here it is, I made the tiniest of drawers for the pincushion and I just love it.























I photographed it with a regular sewing pin to give you an idea of the size of the drawer.






















The secret drawer in its place, now what shall we hide in there?






















Well, these two little things were for sure the most difficult items to build for the casket, just because there is almost nothing to hold on to, tweezers were definitely used a lot here. The rest of the drawers are going to be huge in comparison and easy to build after this tiny one.

I am really enjoying this project and it is a lot of fun to see it come together as I pictured it in my mind.

Enjoy the rest of the week.
Elga

16 comments:

miraclechicken said...

Very tiny indeed! Coming along
super---

latchkey and jonquil said...

I can't believe the tiny size - what delicate work... and I'd love to know how you manage to cut your wood so perfectly straight when working this small, I'd never be able to!

Can't tell you how much I am enjoying the development of this piece (though I don't always have time to comment)

Jonquil

Ilona said...

Oh my goodness, Elga, you did it!!! What size is the space in this tiny teeny drawer, because you ask: what can we hide in it? Perhaps a ring or another piece of jewelry of a secret lover ;)?
Groete, Ilona

Dorien Litjes said...

Dear Elga,
It's tiny indeed. But as always it's made perfectly. Chapeau.
Hugs Dorien

Caseymini said...

Keep going Elga! It is getting better every time you show it. I can't wait to see the finished project. Beautiful!

Fabiola said...

Beautiful! Very tiny.
Bye Faby

Idske said...

I'm so impressed! The pin was a really good idea, a penny/cent would be too big... Has it changed colour too?? :)

Elga said...

Ilona, I did think of a ring too, now where do I find such a tiny one?

Idske, I have orders for 16 of these, including two for myself, about 5 of them will be in the blue color.

mcddiss said...

me maravilla ver lo pequeño que puedes trabajar la madera , esta quedando un mueble precioso

besitos

Mari

Irene said...

I'm enjoying the progress of this project very much - the drawer is just perfect. I'd like to know how you cut the wood so straight too!

Elga said...

Jonquil and Irene: You both are asking how I cut the wood so straight, well, the answer is, with my table saw.

TeenyTinyThings said...

This is so perfect! So tiny, you have done a fantastic job on this, what talent!
Best wishes
Gill x

Lucy Coles said...

Yore casket is wonderful!
Lucy

Giac said...

Hello Elga,
That is fantastic! I swear I would of gone nuts working on such small pieces, but you make it look easy!
Terrific work!
Big hug,
Giac

Debora said...

Sweet little chest all together. But the secret drawer isn't so secret any more; we all know where to find it now ;D

Fi.P said...

When I realised the scale of these draws beside the pin my jaw literally dropped! You skill and patience is amazing!!

I'm so amazed they are even lined with the same paper inside!!