Followers

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Lots of progress and some news

First off all I want to apologize for being so quiet on all your blogs, since 23 April my phone line has been crossed with someone else's and my number is not working at all including internet access. At the moment I am reliant on the bit of mobile data available to me which is rather expensive in SA, so I am really just using it for e-mails etc, but today I just decided I have to do a post. I have made so many phone calls to the two companies involved (I can phone, from the person that I am crossed with number, most of the fault reporting numbers are fortunately toll free) that I am really sick and tired of the whole thing, apparently the turn around time in fixing faults are 7 working days and we had two public holidays over the last two weeks as well, so I just hope that it will all be fixed early next week. Well, enough of that, now on to miniatures.


















I am busy making the knee brackets for the wing chairs, the chair on the right already has them in place.


















The Chippendale chairs still need the front stretcher, the chair on the left has it's side stretchers in place but not glued, I need to take the measurement for the front stretcher directly off the chair, so the rubber band is just there to hold everything together for now.






















I have started work on my last commission for now, a tilt and turn table. The central posts have been turned and I am busy with the three legs for each table, as you can see I am using jigs and pin-routing to make the little legs, you can see the original table that I am copying here.

I only have 4 weeks left to finish all my current commissions, today in exactly 4 weeks I will arrive in Amsterdam for 3 days of fun before I go on to the USA to attend Guild School at Castine. On Sunday 3 June I will go to the 1zu12 fair in Rheda, Germany with my friend and host Elly, I am really looking forward to it, as it will be my first international fair ever. And on Monday Elly will take me to visit Josje and see all her wonderful miniatures. Now don't you think I am in for a real treat?!?! And from Amsterdam I am going to New York where I will meet up with one of  IGMA's scholarship students, Mavis from New Zealand that I met on the Yahoo Petitpoimter group for 3 days of fun exploring NY before we go to Castine, so much to look forward too :-)

Have a wonderful weekend
Elga

Update: Good news, my phone line has just been fixed, now I have a lot of catching up to do on reading all your blog posts of the last 2 weeks.

7 comments:

Catherine said...

The chairs are turning out perfectly. I am so excited to see the wing chairs finished.

What a wonderful vacation!!! I was sitting here reading and started reacting like I was the one who was going. It was like someone was reading of the list of prizes I dreamt I won on a game show.

What a great time you are going to have! I am thrilled for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elga said...

Thanks Catherine, the wing chairs are not quite finished, they still need their wings, I will add them once I have put the finish on the exposed parts of the chair, it is easier to get to the turnings without the wings.

Ilona said...

Hi Elga, welcome back in the blogosphere ;) Thanks for sharing the progress of your beautiful wing chairs. I can almost feel your excitement for your world trip ;) So you're very busy!!
Have a great weekend. Hugs, Ilona

miraclechicken said...

Love watching your progress! So glad your phone line is fixed---

Miniature Treasures said...

Beautiful work as always Elga, your Trip overseas sounds very exciting and im sure you will have a fabulous time and meet some great people :)
Have a safe journey Tony.

Josje said...

So annoying when some means of communication are not working, we have gotten so used to them! But glad to read the phone line is back again.
I am so looking forward to your visit next month! I have started clearing some things from my workshop so it will look it bit more presentable when you come over ;-)

The chair frames look fantastic! I am one of those people who get excited by seeing the process of something being made, not just the end results.

Giac said...

Hello Elga,
It's so nice to have a new post from you. Your work amazes me. I am so impressed with the way you sculpt and shape the wood. You are so acurate and detailed. Amazing!
What fantastic plans you have! I love a vacation where you get to learn and see so many new things...nothing is better to inspire and get the creativity going.
Have a wonderful week, and keep the great posts coming.
Hugs,
Giac