Followers

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Tilt-top Table: Making the Table Top with a Drill Press

I have 6 days left before I start on my trip to the USA, so I am very pressed for time, here are a few photos, once I am back I will do a proper tutorial on how to make the tables.


















I mounted the table top blanks on a scrap piece of wood with a hole drilled into the center to fit the pin on my drill press.


















Dishing out the center, I start in the center and work outwards until the circle is as big as I want.


















Cutting the table top free after the inside edge was rounded with a ball cutter.


















I use grinding stones with sandpaper stuck to the bottom to sand the table tops by hand, there is quite a few marks left from the cutters that needs removing and the round shapes of the stones are perfect for fitting into the round edge.























The back of the table with the braces glued on, the braces have two holes drilled right through for tiny screws that holds the table top to the birdcage. My hubby made the spring loaded catch that locks the top into place for serving tea. The birdcage can turn 360 degrees around the table post.


















View from the front, the table still needs oiling to finish it.


















With one of the chairs that also still needs a few finishing touches.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Elga

16 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh Elga!!! The table and chair are GORGEOUS!!! No one could have done a better job. You certainly are becoming a fine furniture maker.

Have a wonderful time at the Guild school. Take lots of pictures so we can all share in the fun when you return.

Catherine XXXXX

Cote said...

Muy bonita la mesa!!!
Besitos

Dorien Litjes said...

Breathtaking Elga. It's amazing what you make.
Hugs Dorien

Heleni said...

Wow Elga, The table are very gorgeous. Thats a great work. I like to make also this table but it seems to me very hard.
I wish you a very good time at the Guild School.

greetz Heleni

Josje said...

Oh Elga, your work is so beautiful! And I just love the wood you are using. I have always wondered how those table tops were made.

I can understand the time pressure you are under now. So little time left! But it looks to me like you are nearly finished.

I look forward to your tutorial when you get back from Castine, even though I already understand quite a bit about how this is made from these photos. But, the more you can show us, the better!

See you in a few days!

BLANCHE said...

Thanks, ELGA!!! I LOVE your work! I LOVE your coffee-table with decoupage! J'adore!!!

rosanna said...

Elga, it's amazing ! I love your furniture and it's wonderful how you make it.
Have a lovely Sunday, Rosanna

Debora said...

They look goooooooooood! Keen to see 'm soon, ánd you too of course. Best of luck with all this time pressure, just make sure it doesn't get you into any disasters, like messing up all your hard work or anything :(

Ilona said...

Gorgeous table, amzing art work! Elga, thank you for sharing.
I wish you a wonderful time at Guild School, learn a lot so you can tell us later and have fun!
Greetings, Ilona

latchkey and jonquil said...

Yet again, my jaw has dropped! I love the colour of the wood you are using, it's so rich!

Have fun in the States!

Jonquil

Maria Blanca "AyamontinoMaria" said...

¡Que maravilla de trabajo! ¡felicidades! Un beso

niels said...

Well. That's another way of making a round tabletop. I would have used a faceplate on the lathe.
/Niels
PS: Bill told me you told him :-)

Fabiola said...

The table is fabulous!
Bye Faby

Giac said...

Hello Elga,
I wish I had your talent for making such fine furniture. Your pieces are perfect...just perfect...down to the smallest detail. I feel priviledged to be able to follow your work.
Enjoy your trip to the USA,
Hugs,
Giac

Ascension said...

Que fantastico trabajo, me encanta.
besitos ascension

Giac said...

Hi Elga,
I believe you're leaving on Friday. I just wanted to wish you a happy, safe trip. I hope you have great weather, great fun, and great food.
Hugs,
Giac