Followers

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Making Bird Cages....of a different kind















I started making the bird cages for the tilt and turn tables. The Mopane wood one is glued together and one can easily see why they called them bird cages back in the 18th century. The bird cage is made up of a bottom with a hole drilled right through to enable it to turn, 4 tiny spindles and a top with an inverted ball shaped hole. The table tops that I will make this week will rest on top of the cage and tilt forward.














I use a duplicator when I have to turn so many parts that needs to look the same, on the left you can see the brass template with the follower touching it. The follower guides the cutter, with things this small you have to prepare twice the amount of wood you need as they sometimes just suddenly snap off with the grain.






















With two of the chairs to show the size of the table.

Have a great week
Elga

7 comments:

Heleni said...

Wow Elga, thats a great work.

Heleni

Andy said...

Your work always amazes me Elga! I haven't seen the chairs for a while and they look fantastic, and the table legs have been done beautifully too.

Is your lathe designed for miniature turning specifically, or is it a regular one?

Dorien Litjes said...

Elga it's wonderful again. You're making such beautiful little thing.
Hugs Dorien

Fabiola said...

Great jobs!
Bye Faby

Idske said...

That's wonderful and so miniscule! Such good pictures that show exactly how the duplicator works. I had no idea how to fix the table top to my centerpost, and now I do, it won't be as detailed and beautiful as yours, but I can now have a go. Thank you for your great explanation!
Idske

Giac said...

Hello Elga,
Once again I am so impressed by your work. It is just beautiful. i can
t tell you how much I enjoy being able to follow your work. Your posts have taught me so much and are always so helpful.
Keep up the greatw ork, I can't wait to see more.
Big hug,
Giac

Lucy Coles said...

Your chairs are beautiful, I am so impressed with all of your abilities.
Lucy