Followers

Friday, January 31, 2014

Cape Dutch House: Entrance Hall

I spent the last few days building the side walls for the entrance hall of the Cape Dutch house.

















Busy gluing all the studs on.























Ready for the plywood to be glued on, since I don't have enough big clamps this happens with the assistance of my hubby who puts some very heavy over sized concrete bricks on it, too heavy for me to lift. Next time I will try and remember to take a photo.

















Next I had a bit of hand trimming to do at the angled door openings.























I still need to glue the walls permanently in place. Ha, I had a big bummer...for some reason I got my measurements mixed up and the attic door openings were too low, raising the bottom wasn't too difficult, but the top...still need to fix the top level on the right hand wall.

















The plywood surface is not the nicest I have seen, I don't particularly feel like spending hours on filling and sanding the walls, so I have decided to cover them in watercolor paper and then paint them. The paper has just the right texture for a plaster wall that isn't quite smooth. I am rather happy with the size of the room, none of these furniture will go into this house, they are just there to give you an idea of size. Sorry for the bad photo, it is gloomy outside and raining, not that I really mind, so far January has been very hot and dry.

I was hoping to show you some photos out of a book that I ordered on Monday, but a postal strike put a damper on that, last year we had one as well and that took six weeks of striking and backlogs to sort out with many parcels disappearing forever...I was so looking forward to receiving it, it is a newly released book on Cape Dutch furniture with over 400 pages and more than 1200 full color photos and lots of new research... the last books on this subject was published in the 80's with mostly black and white photos. This book isn't available at the usual book stores, my middle brother is in the museum business himself, got to hear of it and let me know...now I don't know how long I am going to have to wait...grrrrr...

Since the rug I was busy stitching is so very Victorian and won't fit in with the time period of the Cape Dutch house...I started a new one.














Not much yet, but you have to start somewhere...right? I chose a chart in Annelle Ferguson's book, it was charted by Sue Bakker from an antique English rug from about 1740. I have a book on the way with the original rug in there...but that one will probably also land in the strike backlog...another grrrrrrrrr...I will go and ask at the PO later today, maybe I am lucky and it got here from the UK before they started the strike.















So in the mean time, here is a scan of the rug Sue Bakker stitched, I am stitching mine with french knots and this rug is destined for the bedroom.

Have a great weekend
Elga

12 comments:

Catherine said...

Elga you amaze me with all your beautiful stitching and your other ambitious projects. This house is going to be incredible. :-)

Steinworks said...

Hi Elga
I love your ideas for the house and the rug.

Hugs
Marisa

Annemieke said...

Just found your blog.(at the moment I'm not busy with miniatures but sometimes I read Josje's blog) I liked reading about your new project: the big Cape Dutch house (back to the 3rd of dec;). The history is very interesting and your house is very big! lots of succes!
Groetjes
Annemieke (from the Netherlands, hope to see South Africa sometime, I've been to Namibia already;)

Caseymini said...

Elga, the new house is coming along nicely. I like the way you are framing it out.

The rug looks interesting. It is kind of fuzzy on my computer screen. I know it will be beautiful when you are finished.

Giac said...

Hello Elga,
I am always amazed when I see a new post on your blog. The house is coming together nicely. I love the thick walls...such a nice touch. I look forward to seeing more of the project as it progresses, and I must say I am looking forward to seeing the new rug...happy French knotting and I hope you get your book soon.
Big hug,
Giac

debbie's mini thoughts and creations said...

Hi Elga
the house is really coming along, I look forward to seeing more, the rug also looks like it will be beautiful as all your work is x

Isabel Ruiz Alonso said...

Bueno, poco a poco.
El dibujo de la alfombra es precioso.

Ilona said...

Hi Elga! I don't know what is wrong with blogspot.com, because I often notice that I don't get any new updates from blogs, which I surely follow. Your blog is one of them :(!! But okay, here I am and reading an other interesting blogpost of you.
You'll always stay to amaze me with your beautiful stitching and now with this brandnew ambitious project. This big Cape Dutch house seems to be a big house with lots of possibilities...
I wish you a nice weekend.
Groete, Ilona

miraclechicken said...

I tried to post this comment yesterday and HA it bounced back to me like an email! HUH????? Never heard of that before....

That rug is gorgeous! Your new house is coming along nicely--

Elga said...

Thank you Everyone, Linda, I have had comments come back like that to me before from different blogs, your original comment was in the awaiting moderation box, and I have found a few there before who never made it to my email inbox, so now I do check every now and again to see if any slipped by.

Angelica Tynan said...

Hello Elga,

This is quite a handsome looking structure! I am rather curious (having never actually built a dolls house, myself) -- is this a hollow-frame project you are creating?

Cheers,
Angelica

Elga said...

Yes, Angelica, it is a hollow frame structure.