Followers

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Progress, fitting and rain, rain, rain....

Sorry for the long silence...life is just so busy!

I made a bit of progress on the Cape Dutch home, because the door opening between the hall and back of the house is so big, I thought it would be a lot easier to glue in the door frame before I screw the walls together.
















Using some squares to keep the frame square while the glue dries, hmmm, the rusted big one isn't mine!























A close up of the frame.























Test fitting with the two side walls...something was bothering me.

















Oops, the roof isn't going to work like this, can't have those two gaps..I kind of did expect problems here, the room on the back of this wall was added about 70 years after the original house was built, the gables on this house was also added at that time...so after thinking about it for awhile I decided to change this wall to what it would have looked like before the additions.























I cut the wall down as you can see in this photo.























And then added a slanted piece of wood that I cut on my band saw to bring everything up to the height that it needed to be.























Next I need to finish the four doors, fitting the rail with the slant is rather a job. Somebody asked me why the side rail is wider at the bottom, I am not really sure...but I wonder...these doors are a lot taller than your usual door with a lot of glass in the top section and I think...maybe it was to have more solid wood in the bottom part of the door to support the weight of the glass.






















Last night Yoda came to inspect the house...he is rather a bored kitty at the moment as it has rained almost non stop for more than a week now over a fairly large part of the country. We have a river going through our city and the least bit of rain makes it overflow now, roads are starting to cave in...














The building to the right is a hotel... just behind it to the right is a big shopping mall that I often go to, I live on the other side of the horizon, the water you see here is the river bursting it's banks. Fortunately I live quite high up and away from the river...weather report says it still going to rain until the end of next week!























A damaged road in one of the suburbs.

















The highway between Pretoria and Johannesburg, this happens to be the sign for the off ramp that I take when I come back home from Johannesburg, fortunately it wasn't raining when I used the highway on Saturday to go to our mini club meeting.













A road in Johannesburg...wow, that is serious damage, and I wonder how many more are going to crack when it starts drying up, I have noticed a few potholes appearing in roads that I drive on...I took none of these photos, most of them I received in an email.

Keep well
Elga

8 comments:

Helma said...

What a damage, Elga...You are in the rain and we are fullspring and sunny and dry whether in the Netherlands. The begin of the house is wonderful!
Helma

Catherine said...

I love seeing progress photos of the house you are building.

WOW! That is some awful damage. I would be worried about driving anywhere. Take care! XXX

Ilona said...

Oh my, Elga, this is very serious damage, but I am glad to hear you are safe.
I love to see your progress of your house build. The door is fabulous work, I can't wait to see more....:D!
Groete, Ilona

Isabel Ruiz Alonso said...

Has hecho un trabajo estupendo. Espero que no tengas ningún problema con los estragos que causa la lluvia. Las fotos que nos has enseñado son impresionantes

mcddiss said...

veo que has estado trabajando mucho


besitos

Mari

Steinworks said...

oh my that's just terrible, we have tons of potholes here because of the salt and the snow shovels but nothing like in your area. be safe and keep dry

Hugs
Marisa

Idske de Jong said...

That is some serious damage! We have had the wettest winter since records began and we have seen sinkholes appear in random places, even in the middle of a motorway, all caused by the excessive amount of water. I really hope the rain isn't going to hang around over Johannesburg for long!

Love your house and the door and door frame are just beautiful!

miraclechicken said...

Sorry you're flooding---
The house is coming along great! (I'll refrain from saying "swimmingly" in light of the flooding haha)