Followers

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Furniture and Petit Point

I realized the other day that I have only shown you a photo of the finished Federal sewing table, this table has many parts and proved a challenge to build. One thing I have discovered in building more than one of the same table, even though you cut all the parts at the same time and mill all the joinery simultaneously....once you start building, each table seems to take a shape of it's own and each individual drawer etc needs to be fitted separately for each table, so it becomes very important to keep each table and all it's pieces together and not mix them up. Why does it happen...I think because the tolerances are so small, even the finish can interfere with the fitting of a drawer.























Here is a table with all it's pieces, the top and the two small swing out drawers still needs to be fitted before I can glue the top on, I am using a pin hinge for these two drawers, so the drawers needs to be fitted and installed before I can glue the top on.























This one is almost done, I am in the process of putting the finish on this one and then the table top hinges will be glued on. Another challenge on this table is the raising top, it is only 1/16" thick and then you need to cut recesses into it for the hinges and stand.























For one of the tables I covered the big drawer with a silk bag, I think I will do that for my own table too and speaking of my table...





















The petit point for it is coming along slowly but surely.























Since I am in the final stages with the last few tables I have started working on a new commission...this is the legs, the inlay isn't finished on these yet...stay tuned, in my next post I will tell you more about this piece and give a step by step tutorial on doing the inlay.

Remember the new rug I showed you a few weeks ago that I started of in french knots, well I ordered a book that I knew had a photo of the original rug in it.















Here is a scan of the full scale antique rug....but the real rug was done in cross stitch, it wasn't knotted and the outer border was a bit more colorful...so I started over again...















doing it in cross stitch now and I changed the border a bit, I love the colors of this rug, for those of you who owns Annelle Ferguson's book Traditional Stitches in Miniature, you can find the chart on page 78.

Have a great week
Elga

PS: The rain has stopped and the sun is out, the worst flooding happened in an area three hours north of us, my niece who stay in that area, her house got flooded, they stayed with her in-law's for the last week as the river got higher and higher, they could go to their house for the first time today, she says there is mud everywhere. Here are two photos as it looked late last week in the town.






























This area had a lot of damage and I guess it will take quite awhile for things to go back to normal.

12 comments:

Ilona said...

Hi Elga! Every time I see your sewing tables they are so beautiful and very realistic. If I didn't know they were made in miniature.......it is real art!
Floodings are awful. I really hope that your niece and her family can go back to their house soon and that the damage will no that bad....
Groete, Ilona

Isabel Ruiz Alonso said...

El mueble es fantástico,con una perfecta ejecución. El diseño de la alfombra precioso y el colorido muy bonito.

Gee said...

The sewing table is just beautiful, as is your stitch work.
Pure eye candy!
How awful for your niece, can't imagine how devastating it must be to have to flee for water or whatever, really.My heart goes out to her and the family.
Hugs,
Gee

Catherine said...

Elga,

This sewing table is astonishingly beautiful. Your needle work and choice of design is unmatched. Just GORGEOUS!!!

What awful flooding. I am so sorry for all those people who's homes were destroyed or damaged.

WHY do you have to live so far away. :-((

miraclechicken said...

The sewing tables are very exciting and beautiful. awesome degree of difficulty and wonderful stitching. Again sorry about the flooding---

Susan said...

Your woodwork is truly art, your eye for detail and perfection is superb. So sad about the flooding, it leaves so much damage. I would gladly take some of the rain off your hands, Australia has had a dry hot summer.

Ali said...

The tables are looking wonderful Elga and your petipoint is stunning! Looking forward to seeing the next progress pic of your carpet. Sorry to read about your niece and the flooding hope the damage isn't too great.

Pepper Mitcheson said...

Just wonderful work Elga. I love to watch your in-progress photos. Very helpful to novices like me.

Sorry to hear about the floods =0(

Fabiola said...

The sewing table is fabulous. Beautiful stitching.

Debora said...

Your own table is coming along very nice! As are the 4 gracious legs for your new project. Sorry bout the bad weather. If it's any consolation, it seems confused world wide :(

Andy said...

Elga, your furniture and needlework are always exquisite, I love them!

There has been quite a lot of flooding in the UK recently too, must be awful for people to see their houses flooded!

Virginie Lykins said...

The sewing table is amazing !