Followers

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Petit Point, Turning and Carving

Lately I seem to function best when working on more than one project, as far as orders go I am working on caskets, I still have about seven of them to make. I am also busy with some sewing tables, different from the one I made last year, I will show them to you in another post. In between working on the orders I snatch a bit of time here and there to work on a few miniatures for myself.

I finally finished the back-stitching on the third casket panel, I only stitch on it in the evenings, for some reason I see it best then with my magnifying lamp, I think it is because the electric back-light is softer than the sunlight in the day. The panels are stitched on 90 count silk gauze.








Here is the link again to the original casket that I am copying, I am rather pleased at how close my panels represent the full scale casket.

I also do a bit of stitching in the mornings.























I started this rug about two years ago, at one stage I put it aside because I just had no time for it, I have picked it up again since Castine, it is stitched with French Knots on 40 count silk gauze and the chart is an original Victorian chart that I found on the Antique Library website.

I found a gorgeous little ivory pincushion on the internet the other day and couldn't resist copying it in miniature.






















The top is actually a lid, there is storage space inside for more pins.





















The turned ivory part of the pincushion, the original pincushion is oval, I made mine round.





















I cut the lid out of a bigger piece of metal that I had prepared for hinge making with a syringe needle silver soldered to the metal. Because it is so tiny I decided to drill two tiny holes 0,3mm into the ivory for the hinge pin, it worked very well, by the way the squares on my cutting mat is 1cm square.























And here it is open on my sewing table, now I must just stick a few pins into it, I have an idea on how to make a few tiny pins, but haven't had time to try it yet.

And lastly I am busy making a Spanish Colonial Chest, I am practicing all the new skills I learned in Castine this year on the chest, hand cut dovetails, carving, metal work and a working lock.













Here is the back of the chest with a V-groove gouge that I made out of oil hardening drill rod, something that Bill Robertson showed us how to make in Castine.

















The back and one side joined with hand cut dovetails, not perfect but not too bad for a first try in wood. The wood that I am using is South African White Pear, an ornamental tree and no relation to the European Pear. It was used a lot in South African Colonial days for wagon building and gun-stocks, it is a protected tree now so the wood is scarce.
















In order to make a working lock, I needed a key, in Castine Bill Robertson gave us each one that he had cast. I turned mine out of brass with a big fat part on the end, which I then grounded flat with my Dremel and then drilled two holes next to each other to form the oval hole. Lastly I silver soldered a small piece of flat brass on to form the blade of the key, this part may still need a bit of trimming to fit nice and tight into the lock. Here is the link to the original chest, still a lot of work to be done, but it is a fun piece to make.

Have a great week.
Elga

14 comments:

Giac said...

Hello Elga,
It amazes me that one individual should be gifted with so many talents. your embroidery is just stunning, your turning is so accurate and delicate, and your carving is fantastic. This post was a real feast for the eyes Elga! Amazing work.
Big hug,
Giac

Catherine said...

Your stitching takes my breath away Elga. I dearly love seeing it. The rug is going to be beautiful. I can't wait to see the whole design. The 90 count piece is gorgeous!!!

The pin cushion is charming. Especially on your sewing table.

I looked at the original chest. It is wonderful. I think you are telling us the you use a syringe needle to make hinges out of right? Great idea, since finding tubing in that size is hard to get.

miniacollection said...

Your work is always amazing.
Geneviève

miraclechicken said...

Elga this is all so beautiful! The petit point is perfect as is the rug. I can't wait to see it finished. The chest---Wow so much wonderful stuff in this post!I love it all and thank you for showing it :)

Fabiola said...

Everything is fantastic. I relly like the pincushion.
Bye, Faby

Dorien Litjes said...

Dear Elga,
You amaze me every time with your skills.
Hugs Dorien

Ilona said...

Your work always amazes me, your skills seem to have no limits, Elga! All is so beautiful and well made, it really is a feast for the eyes. I love the embroidery work for the chest, so tiny and gorgeous!
Groete, Ilona

Isabel Ruiz Alonso said...

Que cantidad de trabajos, todos estupendos y diferentes. Eso está bien, muchas veces necesario cambiar.

Jane S. said...

I think the rug is amazing -- I've never heard of doing French knots on silk gauze before and the effect is beautiful. It really does look like a hand-knotted rug! :)

John said...

You had me at Dremel.

mcddiss said...

es lo que tenemos las personas creativas ,no tenemos la suficiente paciencia para hacer un trabajo despues de haber terminado el anterior, me encanta todo lo que estas haciendo

besitos

Mari

Gee said...

Hello Elga,
all beautiful projects, although at the moment the carpet is my favourite too.
Just by looking at it you can imagine how it will feel burying your feet into it.
Thanks for showing!
Hugs,
Gee

Idske de Jong said...

Your pincushion is charming and the embroidery for the casket, well what can I say, beautiful!!!

Josje said...

I love all of your projects Elga. You must have quite a bit of self discipline to work on all of these projects each day. I can understand though that for some projects -like the stitching- it is impossible to work at them for long periods of time.