Followers

Monday, April 16, 2012

Chair making tips


















Each chair is different and so gluing them together needs careful thought if you want to end up with a chair that has all four legs touching the floor nice and square. In my previous post I showed you the Chippendale chair, today I want to show you how different the easy chair's back is. On the pattern you  can see that the easy chair's back legs leans further over than the feet and you need to take this in consideration while gluing the back together. I stacked 3 pieces of scrap wood on top of one another to make up the difference at the chair's feet, because this chair's back are square from side to side I didn't bother with a paper pattern, I just used bigger magnets because the little ones would just slide in under the chair side posts. I normally just glue all the stretchers, etc on to one side and when that is dry the next side. I also use tape for the first side as all the pieces normally starts falling out when I add the other side to keep everything in place, I take it off as soon as I have the second side in place and then carefully puts it in the jig to dry.


















In this photo is the first step in making a nicely shaped cabriole leg, they are already glued to the front stretcher, it gives you something to hold on. On the right leg you can see where I used a dowel wrapped with sandpaper to round the 4 sharp edges, right click on the photo to open it in a new tab so that you can see better, the dull parts are where I sanded the leg. Remember to also round the foot of the leg.


















I use fine sandpaper or nail filing pads and fine files to finish the shaping of the leg, I hope you can see the difference between the finished and unfinished leg. You can do this to any legs that you get in a kit too.

Have a great week.
Elga

9 comments:

Catherine said...

Thank you for detailing how you are putting it together. It is going to be stunning when it is finished.

I am looking at that very dark, finely grained wood wondering if it is African Blackwood? Or what you might want to use that for in the future.

I am really looking forward to seeing lots of beautiful petitepoint next weekend in Chicago. Hoping to find a chart. ;-)

Elga said...

Hi Catherine, you are right, it is African Blackwood, remember, I have a free source close by, so I don't have to use it sparingly :-)

There will be quite a few people selling charts and kits, so I am sure you will find something.

miraclechicken said...

Very interesting. Love watching you make chairs.

And free African Blackwood! WOW it costs a fortune here...

Ascension said...

Es muy interesnte seguir totod el proceso, ter vaa quedar genial y ademas con esa fantastica madera.
besitos ascension

Jennifer Berkeley said...

Amazing work as usual. I'll keep reading and hope someday to have your skill!

Fi.P said...

Hi Elga,

The chair is amazing and I can't help thinking of your patients whilst constructing them.

Fi x

Dorien Litjes said...

Dear Elga,

It's wonderful and you're a master !! The way you explain everything must be a call to experience a doll house and make the interior !!

Giac said...

Hi Elga,
Your blog is always so informative and helpful! I can't wait to see more. All your projects are just beautiful.
Hugs,
Giac

Debora said...

Assembling... it's one of those jobs where you wished you had 4 hands, or even better;5! When that's the case the only option you're left with are jigs. They are the best aid you can get when you painstakingly try to get it coming together (ánd square on it's feet). Unfortunately there is no set recipe for jigs... cos no project is the same... so will be the jigs.
Thanks for sharing yours :)