Followers

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Needlework



I spent the last month in stitching a chair seat, the two finished ones I stitched more than a year ago, long before I started my blog. There will be six in total, they are destined for six dining room chairs that will be made somewhere in the next year or so. I get bored easily so I chose this chart with six different animals :-)



When I saw the rug chart with the birds I knew it would go perfectly with chair seats. I made sure that I used some of the same colors for the rug and the Queen Anne chair seats to tie them all into a coordinating color scheme.



I started a hexagon quilt after a lot of talk on the subject over at the Petitpointer group, I am making it with the traditional English Paper Piecing method, one hexagon measures 1cm (3/8") from flat side to flat side, I am basing mine on an antique quilt from the 1800's. If you think making a dollhouse quilt with such small hexagons is crazy have a look here, it is almost unbelievable BUT definitely stunning!!!!!

Elga

12 comments:

Eliana said...

The embroideries are gorgeous, congratulations!
Hugs

Kathi said...

Your stitching is beautiful! You must have the patience of a saint.
I could never work on a project for over a year! The rug is so pretty and I love the little animals on the chair seats!

Anneke said...

I saw the other seatcovers before, but I really like these, they are classical and not to much 'in your face' yet still a little playfull with every single seat being different. I understand it would be a bit boring to do the same thing 6times over! I really love these seats like this! The rabbit is my favourite!

Debora said...

Your embroidery is to die for. I really love how the carpet and seating will complement each other once there all set and done. That dining room will look stunning! I love it how you combine your wood working skills with your needle art.

And as for Linda, who made that unbelievable "Dear Prudence" quilt... If you start to imagine how the sheer determination and persistence the lady must have had!? The result is indeed.... mind boggling!

rosanna said...

Elga , you spur me to go back stitching, I've been lazy lately. to hot uo here. The seats ARE gorgeous, I love the animalsthey remind me of Cluny tapestries.

The quilt ??? it sends shivers to my back bone! such a HUGE work...I cannot even start thinking about anything so big.
Have anice day, Rosanna

Elga said...

Thank you for all the lovely comments.

Rosanna, you are right, the animals are from the Cluny tapestries. Our summer can be hot for six months so I don't let that bother me anymore :-) And to you and Debora, I forgot to mention that the Quilt won first place and best of show at the Victorian Quilters Inc Quilt Showcase Exhibition in July 2011 in Australia.

Miniatures by Natalia said...

Elga, the quilt is amazing. Good luck with your new project! I wish I would have had more time...

carmen said...

que maravillas...!

Ascension said...

Que preciosidad de trabajos.
besitos ascension

Rosamargarita said...

Son obras de arte!
Un abrazo

elly in amsterdam said...

Lovey to see all that stitching together Elga!
Cheers,
Elly

Sandra from Sydney said...

Elga, the Cluny chairseats are going to be stunning all together - the patterns are gorgeous. I did 6 chair seats and to my surprise I didn't get bored with them - I just set a goal and made a big push to do them. But they were on 32hpi silk gauze I think, so not too fine.

Your Grandmothers Flower Garden quilt is lovely. With all the talk that has been going on about it on Petitpointers I am tempted to do one too. I have done one in full size, and started hand quilting it so a mini one would be fun too. Too many projects and never enough time!
Hugs
Sandie