Followers

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Amsterdam and Rheda

I arrived back home late on Sunday night and has spend the last few days just resting and getting back into my own time zone after 2 very busy weeks in Europe and the USA. Today I will share my adventures in Amsterdam and Rheda.



On day one Josje met me at the airport, it was so great to meet her for the first time and she instantly felt like an old friend. First we went to Mc Lennan's Pure Silks, oh boy, what a feast for the eyes, here I bought the silks in the photo above. Next we went to a quilt shop where nothing spoke to me, so I didn't buy anything there.



Next, Josje took me to Den haan en Wagenmakers, a shop that sells quilt fabrics reproduced from fabric that were used in antique Dutch quilts, I don't think that I have ever seen such a beautiful collection of quilting cottons and I really had to exercise restraint and managed to buy only the three pieces in the above photo. From there we went to meet Mary Lynne at the train station, another first meeting with an "old" friend. After a well deserved supper we went on to Elly's apartment where I was staying for the next two nights, thanks Elly!

The next morning, we all met up again for the drive to Rheda in Germany, poor Elly, it was pouring with rain the whole 3 hours and more that it took us to reach Rheda.



Lunch at Rheda, from left to right, Elly, Winnie (a fellow blogger and petit pointer member), Josje, me and Mary Lynne.



I was so lucky as to receive some very special gifts on my trip and these I received over the three days in Europe. Elly gave me a copy of the book she had published about her Mouse House (what a great idea) and the glass egg container that needs some eggs. Mary Lynne gave me the beautiful little house that she bought on her trip in France and she bought me a lovely blue and white plate from Stokesay Ware. And Winnie gave me the most beautiful piece of tiny tatting that I have ever seen that she made herself. Thanks everyone, I felt really spoiled.

And now for my show purchases.



A full dinner service with six place settings from Stokesay Ware that I ordered and paid for earlier this year, so I could just go to them and pick it up without parting with a cent :-)



A lovely tea set from Avon Miniatiures painted by an unknown Dutch artist (Josje, I think you might have a name?).



Lovely glass items by Gerd Felka, the perfume bottle's stopper is removable, just amazing work.



The figurine is by Neil Carter, another plate from Stokesay Ware and two brass strips for furniture railings etc from Christina Noriega.



A beautiful light fitting and lamp from Ray Storey.



Ivory sock darner and horn thimble by Jurgen Engel and working dress shears by Edmund Drescher.



And finally, a hob grate kit for the fireplace in my dining room from Phoenix that I have been wanting for many years.

On Monday Elly and I went to visit Josje and see her wonderful work and collection for real, that was a wonderful treat, thanks Josje, for having us and giving us a delicious lunch. From there Elly took me to the airport for my flight to New York, Elly, thanks for everything you did to make my time in Amsterdam special.

I am slowly catching up on all your blogs, I simply didn't have anytime for reading while I was away.

Elga

10 comments:

latchkey and jonquil said...

Hi Elga,

I'm glad you had such a great time! And that silk! wow... I have to make a trip to Amsterdam, because although I live in what was once the silk weaving centre of Europe, there are hardly any fabirc shops!

Good to have you back,

Jonquil

-P- said...

Beautiful items.. Sounds like you had a great trip!

Catherine said...

Hi Elga,

Welcome home to Blogland!
It sounds like you had a wonderful time. How nice you got to meet so many fellow bloggers and miniature artists in Europe. Your new miniatures are gorgeous.
I look forward to hearing about your experience at the Guild school. XXX

Basketcase Miniatures said...

Welcome home Elga! You obviously had a great time all round - your purchases are lovely and I look forward to seeing your brass bed!!
Cheers - Lidi

rosanna said...

Good morning Elga, welcome back home I am so glad that you had a great time I agree, Josje is a most delightful Lady.
Minihugs, Rosanna

Ilona said...

Hello Elga! The idea: you were here in my little wet country ;)!! You've had a great time on your trips! Nice purchases and gifts too from lovely friends. I am glad you're back at home safe and sound.
Greetings, Ilona

Fabiola said...

Fantastic purchases and gifts.
Bye Faby

BLANCHE said...

THANKS FOR PRECIOUS reccomend LINK FOR SHOPPING IN MINIATURE!!!

Josje said...

Hi Elga, good to see you're back and had such a good time on your trip!
Of course I had already seen your wonderful purchases.
Yes, I do know who painted your lovely teaset, it was Dineke Boektje. There should be a little book on the bottom of the teapot.
I really enjoyed meeting you Elga, and I hope you'll be back next year!

Elga said...

Thanks Everyone and yes Josje, you are right, there is a little book on the bottom of the teapot and plates, which of course must refer to her surname.