Followers

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sampler Update

The sampler has grown quite a bit since you last saw it.















I have just the second bird, butterfly, bottom corner and side border left to do.






















A close-up.















And here you can see some of my charting efforts, the letters were an interesting mix of styles, some round and others sharp, most notable on the rounded V and W, but sharp M and N. In the beginning I planned on just using the more rounded letters but later decided to change the M and N to look more like the original sampler, I ended up by just writing on the graph paper and then filling in the stitches until I was happy with the look.

The roses was a bit more complicated, I drew one on the graph full size and then scaled it down (this is also the way I scaled the cat down), but realized that there were too many petals on the rose to successfully down scale it, so I went to my stack of embroidery books and searched until I found some good looking roses that were more or less the size I needed.





















I then positioned the roses on my chart, added in a few dots for the rosebuds and then copied the roses into a computer charting program where I could see it in color and started adding leaves, which took me quite awhile until I was happy with them, keeping in the back of my mind that it needs to be a contained in a circle, some of my leaves went right past the boundaries of the circle and then I had to redo them until they fitted. You can see the printout of the roses and leaves in the previous photo.

If any of you want to try this, first decide on how big you want your embroidery to be when finished, work out a stitch count and then, well just play around on a piece of graph paper. It does take time and even in stitching I noticed a few things that I wanted to change, so here and there I had to unpick and start over again, but in the end, well worth the effort I think.

Elga

8 comments:

Giac said...

Hello Elga,
It is just so wodnerful. Your incredibly small detail is so perfect. I really am in awe of your exceptional talent. You really have mastered so many techniques and different mediums. Very impressive.
Big hug,
Giac

Fabiola said...

It's wonderful!
Bye Faby

miraclechicken said...

Oh it is coming out beautiful!

John said...

I'll say it was worth the effort, Elga! It's astounding how well you interpreted the sampler down to such a minute scale.

XO,
John

Eliza said...

I love it! You managed to reproduce the look of the original perfectly. This is probobly the prettiest miniature sampler I've ever seen!

mcddiss said...

menudo trabajo que has tenido , pero vale la pena viendo los resultados

besitos

Mari

Helen said...

Wow! It looks amazing Elga! Absolutely beautiful! x

Gee said...

I agree with all the above, it is a wonderfull piece of work, Elga, very impressive!
Hugs,
Gee