Followers

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Display Box

I think I bought the bargain of the year today, I went to an antique and crafts fair today and found this wooden box there for a mere $3, now who can say no to that, certainly not me, especially as I have been searching for a box just like this for a while now.





















The box closed.



















And with a few of my miniatures inside. I am planning on cutting most of the door out and replacing it with plexiglass (safer for travel than glass) and pulling the interior fitting out. I am thinking of using illustration board either in a room setting or pigeon holes as it looks now, depending on the kind of miniatures I want to display for a specific event like exhibitions at miniature fairs or Guild School or even non mini events to introduce miniatures to the general public. Removable fittings will also help in using appropriate wallpaper, etc to go with the period of the furniture. 

Have a great weekend.
Elga

19 comments:

Rosamargarita said...

Elga! es una magnífica compra, será un gran expositor.
Un abrazo
GRACIAS por no tener palabra de verificación

Rebecca said...

I am so excited for you concerning your new box find. It is perfect for you and your plans sound wonderfully exciting. Have fun with it.

John said...

Only three bucks, Elga? That is a SuperBargain!

mcddiss said...

una compra bien pensada y con pocos cambios un expositor magnifico

besitos

Mari

Catherine said...

What a find and at a great price too!!!! Congratulations It was meant to be. I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Ilona said...

Wow, Elga, what a great find!! So many possibilities for this box, this is really a "lucky" bargain!
Hugs, Ilona

Idske said...

What a find! Wonder what it was used for before you found it... Removable fittings seem a great idea to me, that makes it even more versatile.

miraclechicken said...

What a great find! I love stuff like this---

Caseymini said...

Great find, Elga. There are so many things that you can do with that! I can't wait to see what you do.

Dorien Litjes said...

Dear Elga,
That looks professional !!
Hugs Dorien

Natalie Wilson said...

A reall great display box. I'd recommend using foam core rather than illustration board to make divides, it's more sturdy and also lighter. It can also be cut with a craft knife and covered easily with paper or fabric. Look forward to seeing what you do with the interior

Fi.P said...

Fantastic find, a bargain like that makes it all the more rewarding.

Fi xx

rosanna said...

Definitely a lucky find and gorgeous price too.
Happy bashing, Rosanna

Debora said...

Great find, especially being a bargain. But just like Idske I wondered what it was used for? At first i thought it was an old jewelers box, for watches and stuff? Used to lay flat? But then i saw it is upright on a plinth, no? Makes it even more curious. I'm sure you'll make good use of it and it will wonderful when you're done. But whatever you do to it, get rid of that green felt quickly, hideous! ;)

Elga said...

Idske and Debora, I have seen these kind of boxes with four glasses and a decanter in the center compartment.

Giac said...

Hello Elga,
What a great idea and a beautiful find. the box is perfect. i can't wait to see transformed.
Big hug,
Giac

jeffry said...

Hi Elga,
It's perfect for your miniatures!
And we will probably see it in Castine, right?

maria l. said...

Es una muy buena idea

Sandie said...

What a find! Lovely cabinet, and with a perspex front it will be perfect. I love the lining inside as it is actually. But putting wallpaper inside will certainly emphasize the period of your wonderful furniture. Mini hugs, Sandie