Followers

Sunday, October 21, 2012

A Birthday and another Box

Yesterday my husband and I went to a small town, Clarens, a 3 hour drive away from the city to celebrate my birthday. Clarens is well known in South Africa for both it's natural beauty and art galleries, and since my birthday fell on a Saturday this year we thought it a good idea to escape from the city for a few hours. We left home early in the morning just as the sun was rising on a cloudy morning and we stopped for a lovely breakfast on the way.

















We arrived in Clarens shortly after ten, a view of the mountains in the distance from the bottom of the town square, it turned out to be quite busy in town as they celebrated the town's hundred birthday. The town also has a few antique and gift shops and I think we went into almost all of them. And then I spotted it, another box, in a shop that I think sold clothes and all kinds of other things (ha, can you tell I didn't pay much attention to those things), they had an antique table right in the back. Before we left home I did think I must look for a box for my new lace making tools but didn't quite expect to actually find an antique one.


















I am not sure how old it is, but it does look Victorian, the inlay in the top is not real, just painted, but beautifully done. It is well constructed with dovetails in the back corners and splined joints in the front. It must have laid in a forgotten corner for many years, the molding was hiding under a thick layer of hardened dust.























The inside of the box. It has lost it's one partition on the right side, one can see a slot on the back where it must have fitted in. There was also traces of an old cream velvet lining that didn't survive the box's history. I plan on making a new partition and lining it again. Then a question, the finish is quite dull on the top and the paint work damaged, now I am wondering what I can use to protect the paint work and revive the finish, I thought of using beeswax but if anyone has any better ideas, please let me know.

By the way, bobbins turned out to be pretty cheap to buy in comparison with the effort of making them, so I just folded and bought some, especially when I discovered that some lace patterns uses over a hundred bobbins at the same time. So I am intending to spend some time next weekend and start making some beginner lace, now that I have all my tools.

















We had a lovely day and a great pizza lunch, I took this photo just as we left town, the brown spots are cattle grazing. I really enjoyed the car trip as well, it has rained a lot this spring and everything is just beautifully green after a very dusty and dry winter.

I hope you all have a fantastic week.
Elga

20 comments:

Mini Southern Millworks said...

Happy birthday Elgs

you live in a beautiful area.



Mario

otterine said...

A lovely trip and a wonderful find! Happy Birthday! :D

Catherine said...

Happy Birthday Elga!!! How nice you were able to have a short getway to enjoy your day. ;-)

John said...

Best birthday wishes to you, Elga! That sounds like the perfect excursion and your 'new' antique box was just icing on the birthday cake!

Fabiola said...

Happy birthday!
Bye Faby

Daydreamer said...

Happy Birthday, Elga! You certainly have found some treasure boxes! The painted detail is lovely! I know purists don't like to use varnish or polyurethane on old wood.... but it does seal in the painting quite well and can have a gloss or matte finish. I think polyurethane has less of a yellowing tendency than varnish.
I'm glad you enjoyed your Birthday!

Idske said...

Happy Birthday! What a lovely trip and the box is special, lovely shape.
I would probably cover up the centre detail, whilst restoring the rest of the box. Knowing your skills it will turn out beautifully!

Tatiana said...

Здравствуйте, Elga!
Позвольте поздравить Вас с Днем рождения!
Вы прекрасно его провели и получили ценный дар!
Татьяна

Ilona said...

Happy birthday, Elga! What a lovely trip, thanks for sharing the pictures. Your new treasure (box) is a very beautiful birthday present ;)!
Warm greetings and a nice week, Ilona

Mini Southern Millworks said...

Sorry about the typo Elga I need to slow down my typing.

looks like you had a wonderful day.

Mario

Karin Corbin said...

Happy Birthday!

a coat of clear lacquer might do the trick. I have used it for top coating deteriorating painted surfaces.

Of course test on a small place first.

Marie-Laure said...

Happy birthday dear Elga !

Fi.P said...

Happy Birthday Elga!!

It sounds like you had a lovely day. The box is just beautiful, what a lovely find, something you will always remember for your birthday.

Hugs, Fi xx

Dorien Litjes said...

Happy Birthday Elga. I wish you had a wonderful day.

Giac said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY ELGA!
I wish you all the best my dear friend and everything your heart desires. Whata wonderful baox. It is just lovely and such a great birthday find.
I'm glad you had a lovely, and very beautiful, day.
Big hugs,
Giac

Andy said...

Hi Elga,

Hope you had a great birthday! The box you found is lovely, perfect for all your bobbins. A great find!

Regards
Andy

Maria Ireland said...

Wishing you a very happy Birthday. I just found your lovely blog. The box is beautiful.
Hugs Maria

Gee said...

Happy belated birthday, Elga!
Your box is a lovely find, and that on your birthday; that can't be a coincidence.
I too would try a clear lacquer to protect it.
Glad to know you had a beautiful day!
Hugs,
Gee

miraclechicken said...

Happy belated birthday Elga, I don't know how I missed this post... The box is beautiful!

Debora said...

cn't stay behind now im catching up;
Hieper De Piep! HOERA!
Many congratulations Dear Elga.

I see you've got a really appropriate gift; enjoy it! Will your next project be some lace now '-)