Followers

Monday, May 23, 2011

Guild School Auction



As I mentioned in my last post I am busy making a furniture piece for IGMA's Guild School auction. Well, I finished the stitching this morning, the chart comes from the book Berlin Work Samplers & Embroidery by Raffaella Serena. I stitched it on 60 count silk gauze with Pipers Silk using cross stitch. I had to finish the stitching first before I start with the woodwork as I needed to know the exact finished dimensions.



The embroidery was made for this fire screen, here is a photo of the original, it is from the 18th century. I am using a pattern from the book Construction of American Furniture Treasures by Lestor Margon, when the book was published in 1949 it was in the Metropolitan museum of art but my search of their data base was fruitless so I guess that after 60 years they might not have it anymore. Of course this is a late 18th century screen while the embroidery dates from a 100 years later, so the story is that the silk fabric disintegrated after a 100 years and that the new owner who loves embroidery replaced it with the newest craze in the Victorian era, who said miniatures can't have a history too!!!!!

Off to work now as I only have 15 days left before I fly out from here, I sure hope the vulcano in Iceland doesn't cause any air traffic disruptions like last year.

Elga

6 comments:

Debora said...

WOW! It's gorgeous... I love the black background as it set's off the colors of the flowers. But what's most fascinating is the neatness and uniformity of it. If you consider the count you use.... Ooh my, you must have great eyesight and steady hands. Marvelous job!

And now onto to the stand itself? I love it you did thorough research to obtain authenticity. And like you said, why not consider the silk to be replaced again, just like the original? It gave you the freedom to do this magic with needle and thread.

Good luck with the woodwork, it wil -no doubt- do excellent at auction. Who doesn't want to treasure such wonderful work?

Elga said...

Deborah, the Victorians loved using black as a background color. I use a magnifyer lamp to help me see better while I stitch. The joke is that I often think "Oh gosh this is too big for the furniture" while I am stitching, until I remember that it is magnified LOL!!!!!!

rosanna said...

Elga, it's unbelievale !! cross stitch on 60 count... I'm shocked ! it's utterly beautiful.Rosanna

sandi quance said...

Elga,
Your work is gorgeous!! Not only are you a master furniture craftsman but also a master at needlework!!
Good luck on your auction!! I know that it will do well because it is so special!

Patty said...

Elga, What a stunning piece! The colors that you have used on the flowers make it look like a very vintage piece. I look forward to seeing the end result. The Guild will be so thrilled to add it to their auction!

Marie75 said...

What a lovely work !
I can't wait seeing your piece on the fire screen.